One of my favorite new books hit the market this past week. I’ll read it many times before replacing it with a newer edition.
The “book” that I refer to is actually a “handbook.” You won’t find it on the bestseller lists. It is the “1999 Mississippi Handbook of Selected Data,” published by the Center for Policy Research an Planning of the Board of Institutions of Higher Learning. The book is chock full of demographic information about Mississippi and her people. When I read it I’m always surprised to find that I didn’t know as much as I thought about Mississippi. Let’s see if you are the same way. Here’s a 20-question pop test to reveal how much you know about the Magnolia state:
1. Which county in Mississippi has the most residents?
2. Which county had the greatest percent increase in population from 1990 to 1998?
3. Which county had the greatest percent decrease in population from 1990 to 1998?
4. How many residents did the City of Jackson lose from 1990-1996?
5. How many residents did the city of Indianola gain from 1990 to 1996?
6. Name the only county that had no change in net migration from 1990 to 1998.
7. Which of the following public school districts had no dropouts in 1997-98?
A. Lumberton Public
B. Mississippi School for Math & Science
C. North Bolivar
D. All of the above.
8. Which university had the highest enrollment in Fall 1998?
A. Mississippi State University
B. University of Mississippi
C. University of Southern Mississippi
D. Jackson State University
9. Which county has the highest percentage of persons over 25 with a bachelor’s degree or higher?
10. In 1997, which state had lower average school expenditures per pupil than Mississippi?
C. South Dakota
D. None of the above.
11. In 1997, which state had lower average salary of classroom teachers than Mississippi?
C. South Dakota
D. All of the above.
12. Name the only county to have farming as its major source of income in 1996.
13. Which county had the highest per capita income in 1997?
14. Which county added 61 new manufacturers from 1987 to 1997?
15. Landwise, the largest county in Mississippi is:
16. How many new businesses were formed in Mississippi in 1997?
17. Name the only county that had no medical doctor in 1998?
18. How many counties had no dentists in 1998?
19. Which county had the most retail sales in 1998?
20. Name the railroad that runs from Columbus to Greenville.
B. Golden Triangle
C. Great Southern
D. Columbus and Greenville
Answers: 1 – C, 2 – A, 3 – A, 4 – B, 5 – A, 6 – B, 7 – D, 8 – A, 9 – C, 10 – D, 11 – D, 12 – C, 13 – A, 14 – A, 15 – D, 16 – D, 17 – Issaquena, 18 – D, 19 – B, 20 – D
Now rate yourself based on the number of correct answers.
Number CorrectYour rating
16 -20Mississippi Scholar
10 – 15Mississippi Student
5 – 9Just attending class
0 – 4Never left home
Phil Hardwick’s column appears regularly in the Mississippi Business Journal. His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
BEFORE YOU GO…
… we’d like to ask for your support. More people are reading the Mississippi Business Journal than ever before, but advertising revenues for all conventional media are falling fast. Unlike many, we do not use a pay wall, because we want to continue providing Mississippi’s most comprehensive business news each and every day. But that takes time, money and hard work. We do it because it is important to us … and equally important to you, if you value the flow of trustworthy news and information which have always kept America strong and free for more than 200 years.
If those who read our content will help fund it, we can continue to bring you the very best in news and information. Please consider joining us as a valued member, or if you prefer, make a one-time contribution.Click for more info