AROUND MISSISSIPPI — Gov. Haley Barbour has named six Mississippi businesses as the district winners of the Governor’s Cup, which recognizes businesses in the private sector that have made a significant impact within their communities.
The district winners in each category follow:
Small Business (50 or less employees):
· General Atomics, Shannon – North District winner (nominated by Community Development Foundation)
· Camgian Microsystems Corporation, Mississippi State University – Central District winner (nominated by Greater Starkville Development Partnership)
· Metal Tech Inc., Gulfport – South District winner (nominated by Harrison County
Big Business (51 or more employees):
· BancorpSouth, Tupelo – North District winner (nominated by Community Development Foundation)
· Entergy Mississippi Inc., Jackson – Central District winner (nominated by Hinds County Economic Development District)
· United States Marine Inc., Gulfport – South District winner (nominated by Harrison
County Development Commission)
The district winners in each category will receive a Governor’s Cup award, and their nominating entities will receive $1,000 each. From these district winners, statewide winners in each category will be selected and presented a Governor’s Cup trophy along with a $5,000 Economic Development Marketing Match Grant for their respective local nominating entities.
The Mississippi Development Authority, along with the Mississippi Economic Development Council (MEDC), which sponsors the event, will recognize all of the district winners and announce the statewide winners at the annual MEDC awards banquet July 23 at the Beau Rivage Resort in Biloxi.