WEST MISSISSIPPI — Motorists in West Mississippi are benefiting in multiple ways thanks to funding provided to the Mississippi Department of Transportation (MDOT) through the federal American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA).
In MDOT’s District Three, which includes Bolivar, Sunflower, Washington, Humphreys, Holmes, Yazoo, Sharkey, Issaquena, Warren, Claiborne, Jefferson and Copiah counties, a variety of projects have been funded by the ARRA. To date, seven ARRA-funded projects totaling $23,226,945 have been let in District Three. They include:
• Grade, drain, and bridge work on SR 8 from Cleveland to Ruleville in Sunflower and Bolivar counties
• Widening and overlay work on SR 1 from Rosedale to Bunge Cutoff Road in Bolivar County
• Widening and overlay work on SR 8 from Cleveland to Ruleville
• Widening and overlay work on SR 27 from Georgetown to Crystal Springs in Copiah County
• Improvements to the I-55 Rest Area at the town of West in Holmes County
• Overlay work on SR 438 from U.S. 1 to U.S. 61 in Washington County
• Widening and overlay work on U.S. 49 from the Madison County line to Bentonia in Yazoo County
The SR 8 work marks the beginning of a project designed to create a four-lane system that will connect U.S. 49 from Ruleville to U.S. 61 in Cleveland. The ARRA funding has allowed district officials to upgrade many sections of pavement that were beginning to show signs of duress. That work will create smoother and safer roadways for motorists throughout the district.
MDOT has received a total of $354,564,343 in ARRA funding. To date, $300,212,956 has been obligated.
BEFORE YOU GO…
… we’d like to ask for your support. More people are reading the Mississippi Business Journal than ever before, but advertising revenues for all conventional media are falling fast. Unlike many, we do not use a pay wall, because we want to continue providing Mississippi’s most comprehensive business news each and every day. But that takes time, money and hard work. We do it because it is important to us … and equally important to you, if you value the flow of trustworthy news and information which have always kept America strong and free for more than 200 years.
If those who read our content will help fund it, we can continue to bring you the very best in news and information. Please consider joining us as a valued member, or if you prefer, make a one-time contribution.Click for more info