WASHINGTON — Sen. Thad Cochran (R-Miss.) has joined the new Senate Aerospace Caucus, in part to promote the growing aerospace sector in Mississippi.
The bipartisan caucus has been organized to promote a “strong, secure and competitive” aerospace sector within the United States.
“The aerospace sector is growing in Mississippi because the state has dedicated itself to providing a qualified workforce and a friendly environment for manufacturing, research, development and testing. This caucus is just one way I can help ensure that this sector of our economy continues to be a positive force in our state,” Cochran said.
“There are policy issues before Congress that will affect the future of the aerospace sector. Our new caucus can work to shape the outcome of those issues so that the American aerospace sector continues to lead the world.”
In Mississippi, the aerospace sector employs more than 13,500 workers, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics and company reports. The industry in Mississippi exported more than $54.3 million in 2007 in aerospace products and parts.
The Senate Aerospace Caucus set a number of strategic objectives, including:
• promoting education and workforce development programs to prepare students and workers for aerospace careers
• increasing the percentage of U.S. students graduating with Science, Technology, Education and Mathematics (STEM)-related degrees
• increasing the export of American-made aerospace manufactured goods
• providing oversight of federal aerospace acquisition programs (civil, defense and space)
• improving collaboration among U.S. government agencies involved in aerospace research and development
BEFORE YOU GO…
… we’d like to ask for your support. More people are reading the Mississippi Business Journal than ever before, but advertising revenues for all conventional media are falling fast. Unlike many, we do not use a pay wall, because we want to continue providing Mississippi’s most comprehensive business news each and every day. But that takes time, money and hard work. We do it because it is important to us … and equally important to you, if you value the flow of trustworthy news and information which have always kept America strong and free for more than 200 years.
If those who read our content will help fund it, we can continue to bring you the very best in news and information. Please consider joining us as a valued member, or if you prefer, make a one-time contribution.Click for more info