Transportation Roundup – April 5
South Mississippi MDOT Projects Totaling $10 Million or More
$12.8 Million I-10 Project
Work has begun add lanes to Interstate 10 from Interstate 110 to State Route 609. The $12.8 million construction project was awarded to Mallette Brothers Construction Company Inc . of Gautier and is scheduled for completion by December 2010. The end result will be four lanes eastbound and westbound from I-110 to Exit 50 and three lanes eastbound and westbound from Exit 50 to the east one mile.
$11.7 Million I-59 Project in Pearl River County
MDOT is continuing work to resurfacing of 20 miles of Interstate 59 in Pearl River County. The $11.7 million project was awarded to Warren Paving of Hattiesburg and Gulfport last year. Work began at McNeil (Exit 15) and continues north to Hillsdale (Exit 35) with repairs to the road base and drainage system. The project is expected to be completed fall of 2010.
$11.6 Million I-59 Project in Jones County
MDOT is continuing work on the $11.6 million Interstate 59 reconstruction project in Jones County. The contract was awarded to Tanner Construction Company Inc. involving two miles of roadway on Interstate 59 from Fourth Avenue to Chantilly Street. Along with widening the roadway and bridges, crews will be relocating existing lighting and building retaining walls. The project is scheduled for completion fall of 2010.
$42 Million Highway 63 and Highway 57 Four-Lane Project
MDOT has begun the next phase of construction of roadway on Highway 63 and Highway 57 in George and Greene Counties. The project was awarded to Tanner Construction Company Inc. of Ellisville for $42.1 million. Once completed, the 25-mile stretch will provide the final link to the four-lane corridor from the coast to Tennessee. The project is scheduled for completion in fall of 2011.
$26 Million Project to Four-Lane U.S. 84 Across State
A $26.3 million paving project was awarded to Dunn Roadbuilders of Laurel for the completion of construction and surfacing of a 10-mile segment of U.S. 84. In March crews began work on the project, which four-lanes the highway, known as the "El Camino Corridor," from Natchez to the Alabama state line. It is scheduled for completion in 2011.
Jackson Metro Area MDOT Projects Totaling $10 Million or More
- A Split Diamond Interchange with frontage roads on Interstate 55 from Old Agency Road to SR 463 . Two additional lanes, with frontage roads, will be built in each direction on I-55. Right-of-way plans are complete, with appraisals and acquisition of right-of-way underway. Pending the acquisition of needed right-of-way and relocation of utilities, the scheduled letting date is June, 2010. The construction estimate is $79 million.
- Phase Two of this project will include construction of Colony Park Boulevard from Highland Colony Parkway to U.S. Highway 51 , and improvements to Madison Avenue between Highland Colony Parkway and U.S. 51. The currently proposed letting date for the Colony Park Boulevard work is Spring of 2013, and Spring of 2014 for the Madison Avenue work. The total construction estimate is $50.8 million .
- Construction of a new highway which will connect U.S. 51 at Nissan Boulevard to Highway 43 . This project is being developed by the City of Canton with MDOT oversight. Environmental, right-of-way, and construction plans are complete. Letting is pending approval of a Memo of Understanding between MDOT and the city denoting responsibilities of each party. The estimated construction cost is $22 million .
- Highway 463 from Post Oak Road to Highway 51 will be relocated to the north, with a four-lane boulevard section. This project has just been let to contract. Tanner Construction Company, Inc. of Ellisville, MS was the low bidder at a bid amount of $27.4 million . The project should be completed by October 2011.
- Pavement will be rehabilitated, and two bridges will be replaced on Highway 49 between Flora and the Yazoo County line. The construction cost is $18.7 million , and the estimated letting date is April of 2010.
- An operations analysis study of a new I-55 interchange at Gluckstadt was completed in December of 2002, and public hearings have been held. The proposed construction date is February of 2013 , and the estimated construction cost is $25 million .
Replacement of the I-20 westbound bridge over U.S. 51/State Street in Jackson . Contractor Tanner Construction Company Inc . of Ellisville is the contractor on this project, with a bid amount of $15.5 million . This section of I-20 is one of the most heavily-traveled roadways in the state and the metro area, with more than 130,000 vehicles per day traveling this route on average. The project is 12 percent complete.
- The existing concrete pavement on I-20 from the Big Black River eastward 6.3 miles will be rehabilitated. The estimated start date is May of 2010, with an estimated construction cost of $15 million . Plans are currently being prepared.
- The existing asphalt pavement on I-55 from Byram to McDowell Road will be milled and overlaid. The estimated start date is January of 2011, with an estimated construction cost of $10.2 million .
- The replacement of seven bridges on U.S. Highway 80 between Brandon and the Scott County line . The estimated start date is November of 2011, with an estimated construction cost of $10.5 million .
- U.S. 49 South will be milled and overlaid from the Simpson County line to Florence. The estimated start date is April of 2010, with an estimated construction cost of $14.7 million .
- In a pair of projects, Highway 471 will be widened to five lanes from U.S. 80 to Grants Ferry Road, and from Grants Ferry Road to Highway 25. New bridges across I-20 will also be constructed. The estimated start date for Phase One work is January of 2012. Total construction costs are estimated at $48.4 million . MDOT’s Right of Way Division has begun acquiring right-of-way for the first phase of the project.
- Lanes will be added, and U.S. 49 South will be reconstructed from Florence to the southern end of the recently completed Stack III project in Richland. The estimated start date is January of 2012, with estimated construction costs of $60 million . Construction plans are being prepared, and right-of-way appraisal and acquisition is currently underway.
- The existing Roundabout at the entrance to the Jackson International Airport will be replaced and an interchange will be constructed to carry SR 475 traffic over Old Brandon Road. The estimated start date on this project is November of 2010, with an estimated construction cost of $10.8 million .
- On I-20 from SR 468 to Crossgates Boulevard , two lanes will be added in the median to create a six-lane section. The estimated start date is May of 2010, with an estimated construction cost of $33.7 million .