Home » NEWS » BP to hand over oil spill claims to administrator

BP to hand over oil spill claims to administrator

GULF COAST — BP plans to stop processing claims from people and businesses hurt by the Gulf oil spill as it prepares to transfer that role to a government-appointed administrator.

The company says it will stop accepting new claims after today. The Gulf Coast Claims Facility, led by Kenneth Feinberg, will take over the process starting Aug. 23.

BP PLC says it’s paid roughly $368 million to invididuals and businesses, including about $102 million so far in August. Claims filed by government entities, as opposed to people and businesses, will still be handled by the British energy giant.

Feinberg is scheduled to be in Louisiana today to meet with residents and answer questions about how the claims process will work.

BEFORE YOU GO…

… we’d like to ask for your support. More people are reading the Mississippi Business Journal than ever before, but advertising revenues for all conventional media are falling fast. Unlike many, we do not use a pay wall, because we want to continue providing Mississippi’s most comprehensive business news each and every day. But that takes time, money and hard work. We do it because it is important to us … and equally important to you, if you value the flow of trustworthy news and information which have always kept America strong and free for more than 200 years.

If those who read our content will help fund it, we can continue to bring you the very best in news and information. Please consider joining us as a valued member, or if you prefer, make a one-time contribution.

Click for more info

About Megan Wright

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*