Home » NEWS » Average earnings outpaced by rising prices

Average earnings outpaced by rising prices

WASHINGTON — Real average hourly earnings for all U.S. employees fell 0.4 percent from November to December, seasonally adjusted, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reports. A 0.1 percent increase in average hourly earnings was more than offset by a 0.5 percent increase in the Consumer Price Index for All Urban Consumers (CPI-U).

Real average weekly earnings fell 0.4 percent over the month, as the average workweek remained unchanged and combined with the decline in real average hourly earnings.

Real average hourly earnings rose 0.4 percent, seasonally adjusted, from Dec. 2009 to Dec. 2010. A 1.5 percent increase in average weekly hours, combined with the increase in real average hourly earnings, resulted in a 1.9 percent increase in real average weekly earnings during this period.

Real average hourly earnings for production and non-supervisory employees fell 0.6 percent from November to December, seasonally adjusted. A 0.1 percent increase in average hourly earnings was more than offset by a 0.6 percent increase in the Consumer Price Index for Urban Wage Earners and Clerical Workers (CPI-W).

Real average weekly earnings fell 0.2 percent over the month, as a result of a 0.3 percent increase in the average workweek combined with the decrease in real average hourly earnings.

Real average hourly earnings rose 0.2 percent, seasonally adjusted, from Dec. 2009 to Dec. 2010. The increase in real average hourly earnings combined with a 1.2 percent increase in the average workweek, resulted in a 1.5 percent increase in real average weekly earnings during this period.

BEFORE YOU GO…

… we’d like to ask for your support. More people are reading the Mississippi Business Journal than ever before, but advertising revenues for all conventional media are falling fast. Unlike many, we do not use a pay wall, because we want to continue providing Mississippi’s most comprehensive business news each and every day. But that takes time, money and hard work. We do it because it is important to us … and equally important to you, if you value the flow of trustworthy news and information which have always kept America strong and free for more than 200 years.

If those who read our content will help fund it, we can continue to bring you the very best in news and information. Please consider joining us as a valued member, or if you prefer, make a one-time contribution.

Click for more info

About Wally Northway

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*