ACROSS MISSISSIPPI — Each year since 1963, the President of the United States has proclaimed Small Business Week to recognize the contributions of small businesses to the economic well-being of America. SBA will hold a national celebration in May in Washington, D.C., to recognize the successes and achievements of top small business owners from across the nation.
The Mississippi U.S. Small Business Administration will present awards to its 2011 Mississippi winners during a reception ceremony June 14 at the Mississippi e-Center @ JSU, Jackson. Invitations will be sent out in early May.
The 2011 SBA Mississippi Small Business Week winners are:
• Small Business Person of the Year — John D. Calhoun, Ph.D., CEO of Integrated Management Services/IMS, Jackson
• Small Business Exporter — Patricia Ann Thomasson, CEO of Thomasson Company, Philadelphia
• Jeffrey Butland Family-Owned Business — Kenneth B. Fowler, owner, Spot Cash Tire & Appliance, Kosciusko
• Young Entrepreneur — Jonathan Maisano, owner, Maisano’s Fine Wine & Spirits, Ocean Springs
• 2011 Regional Prime Contractor of the Year — Can’t Be Beat Fence & Construction, LLC, Perkinston
• 2011 National 7(a) Small Lender of the Year — Peoples Bank, Mendenhall
• Lender Awards — Three Rivers Development Co. Inc. (Top Volume & Top Dollar CDC); First Financial Bank (Runner-Up Volume & Dollar Lender); Peoples Bank (Top Volume Lender and Honorable Mention Top Dollar Lender); and, Community Bank of Mississippi (Top Dollar Lender and Honorable Mention Top Volume Lender)