As Mississippians return to their water-damaged homes following the historic Mississippi River flood, they are coming face to face with a new threat — mold.
Mold can cause serious, long-term health problems, and recovery specialists urge disaster survivors to protect themselves by treating or discarding mold- and mildew-infected items.
Mold and mildew start growing within 24 hours after a flood, and can lurk throughout a home, from the attic to the basement and crawl spaces. The best defense is to thoroughly clean, disinfect and dry the affected areas.
Porous materials — things that absorb water — can trap mold forever. Moldy paper, rags, wallboard and rotten wood should be discarded. Survivors also may need to throw out moldy carpeting or upholstered furniture.
“It can be hard to get rid of a favorite armchair, your child’s teddy bear or any other treasures that have developed mold,” said federal coordinating officer Terry L. Quarles. “To safeguard the well-being of your loved ones, though, a top-to-bottom home cleanup is your best defense.”
BEFORE YOU GO…
… we’d like to ask for your support. More people are reading the Mississippi Business Journal than ever before, but advertising revenues for all conventional media are falling fast. Unlike many, we do not use a pay wall, because we want to continue providing Mississippi’s most comprehensive business news each and every day. But that takes time, money and hard work. We do it because it is important to us … and equally important to you, if you value the flow of trustworthy news and information which have always kept America strong and free for more than 200 years.
If those who read our content will help fund it, we can continue to bring you the very best in news and information. Please consider joining us as a valued member, or if you prefer, make a one-time contribution.Click for more info