Startup Weekend Jackson to be held Feb. 10-12 at Millsaps College
Startup Weekend is an intense 54-hour, high-energy event powered by the Kauffman Foundation that operates worldwide and brings together like-minded entrepreneurs for a weekend of company creation. As a nonprofit program, it is designed to build entrepreneurial communities and promote collaboration among entrepreneurs, programmers, developers, graphic artists and business-minded people to build and develop ideas. Startup Weekend Jackson is being promoted by the Mississippi Technology Alliance.
Technical and non-technical people get together and develop businesses. The weekend starts with pitches on Friday night, then attendees vote on the top ideas. Teams organically form around the chosen ideas. Complimentary skill sets make up the best teams. Throughout the weekend team members, along with help from seasoned mentors, build an idea into a viable business with some form of prototype to show for it all on Sunday. The audience includes web developers, designers, coders, people with backgrounds in marketing, law or finance. Individuals can come to pitch an idea, help develop a product, help develop the business around the product or just come to network.
• Knowledge on how to turn bright ideas into a real companies
• Winners receive in-kind prizes from local sponsors (i.e. free mentoring services, free office space, server space, etc.)
• Chosen teams will present to a panel of Angel investors
• Opportunity to build long-lasting relationships and possibly walk away with a job or even an investor
• One-on-one time with thought leaders
• A real opportunity to launch a real business with feedback, advice, and newly formed relationships with people from different backgrounds
• A weekend’s worth of networking
• Seven free meals and lots of coffee!
In 2011, 260 Startup Weekends were hosted worldwide with more than 20,000 participating entrepreneurs in nearly 70 countries, creating more than 100 jobs, two company acquisitions and $30 million in company funding!
Source: Mississippi Technology Alliance
BEFORE YOU GO…
… we’d like to ask for your support. More people are reading the Mississippi Business Journal than ever before, but advertising revenues for all conventional media are falling fast. Unlike many, we do not use a pay wall, because we want to continue providing Mississippi’s most comprehensive business news each and every day. But that takes time, money and hard work. We do it because it is important to us … and equally important to you, if you value the flow of trustworthy news and information which have always kept America strong and free for more than 200 years.
If those who read our content will help fund it, we can continue to bring you the very best in news and information. Please consider joining us as a valued member, or if you prefer, make a one-time contribution.Click for more info