AROUND MISSISSIPPI — Five Mississippi communities were honored at the Mississippi Economic Development Council (MEDC) Winter Conference for their efforts to advance their economic viability through economic and community development programs during the past year. They competed with others in their population categories.
The winners are:
• Category I – population less than 5,000: City of Ellisville for The Landing of GE Aviation
• Category II – population of 5,001-15,000: City of Natchez for the Natchez Trails Project
• Category III – population of 15,001-40,000: City of Pascagoula for Arbor Square
• Category IV – population of 40,001-100,000: Hancock County Community Development Foundation for the Hancock County Job Generation Fund
• Category V – population over 100,000: Mississippi State University Center for Advanced Vehicular Studies Extension for the “Enhancing On-the-Job Problem Solving” Training Program
The winners will go on to compete with entries from 16 Southern states for the Southern Economic Development Council’s regional awards.