Home » NEWS » Power strip caused fire that destroyed historic court

Power strip caused fire that destroyed historic court

WALTHALL — Authorities say a predawn fire that gutted the Webster County courthouse in Walthall was caused by an electrical short.

Sheriff Tim Mitchell told supervisors an investigation showed yesterday’s predawn fire started when a power strip in a first-floor office on the southwest corner of the building shorted out. Mitchell says the fire marshal’s office says the fire is non-suspicious.

The two-story courthouse was built in 1915. The town of Walthall is located just north of Eupora on Mississippi Highway 9.

Local officials say damage is minimal to records kept in vaults. There is some heat and water damage. They say computer-related information is secure.

County officials say they are working on bringing in portable office space.

BEFORE YOU GO…

… we’d like to ask for your support. More people are reading the Mississippi Business Journal than ever before, but advertising revenues for all conventional media are falling fast. Unlike many, we do not use a pay wall, because we want to continue providing Mississippi’s most comprehensive business news each and every day. But that takes time, money and hard work. We do it because it is important to us … and equally important to you, if you value the flow of trustworthy news and information which have always kept America strong and free for more than 200 years.

If those who read our content will help fund it, we can continue to bring you the very best in news and information. Please consider joining us as a valued member, or if you prefer, make a one-time contribution.

Click for more info

About Megan Wright

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*