MERIDIAN — The Naval Air Station in Meridian is the fourth government or military site to earn the National Weather Service’s StormReady designation in Mississippi, according to the Mississippi Emergency Management Agency.
Mississippi has 26 counties, 15 communities, four state universities and four government/military sites designated as StormReady in Mississippi.
StormReady is a nationwide program of the National Weather Service that helps communities protect their citizens during severe weather, and encourages communities to take a proactive approach to improving local hazardous weather operations.
To be recognized as StormReady, a community must:
• Establish a 24-hour warning point and emergency operations center
• Have multiple ways to receive severe weather warnings and forecasts and to alert the public
• Create a system that monitors weather conditions locally
• Promote the importance of public readiness through community seminars
• Develop a formal hazardous weather plan, which includes training severe weather spotters and holding emergency exercises