The FBI said no arrests have been made in the Boston Marathon bombing, despite widespread earlier reports that a suspect was in custody in Monday’s deadly attack.
Paul Bresson, a spokesman for the FBI, based in Washington, also pleaded with reporters to verify their information through “appropriate official channels” since inaccurate reporting can have “unintended consequences.”
Contrary to widespread reporting, there have been no arrests made in connection with the Boston Marathon attack. Over the past day and a half, there have been a number of press reports based on information from unofficial sources that has been inaccurate. Since these stories often have unintended consequences, we ask the media, particularly at this early stage of the investigation, to exercise caution and attempt to verify information through appropriate official channels before reporting.
An arrest has been made in connection with Monday’s Boston Marathon bombings, sources tell CNN’s John King and CNN contributor Fran Townsend. King’s source is with Boston law enforcement, he said; Townsend’s source is with federal law enforcement.
BOSTON — A law enforcement official briefed on the investigation says a suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings is about to be arrested.
The official spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity Wednesday. The official was not authorized to divulge details of the investigation.
The official says the suspect is to be taken into custody by federal marshals and taken to a Boston courthouse.
Law enforcement agencies had earlier pleaded for the public to come forward with photos, videos or any information that might help them solve the twin bombings that killed three people and wounded more than 170 on Monday.
Investigators circulated information about the bombs, which involved kitchen pressure cookers packed with explosives, nails and other lethal shrapnel. But the FBI said nobody had claimed responsibility.