LAUREL — More than 23,000 customers who get water from the city of Laurel are being advised to boil it.
A press release from the state Health Department said E. coli bacteria had been detected.
City spokeswoman Anicia Hill says she doesn’t have any information about the contamination. She referred comment to United Water, a private firm that Laurel contracts with to run its water and sewer system. United officials could not be reached immediately
The Health Department says people should boil water vigorously for 1 minute before consuming it. The order will last at least two days.
The virulent bacteria strain is often associated with human or animal waste. It can cause kidney failure and prove fatal, particularly for children and the elderly. Symptoms include severe stomach cramps and vomiting.
BEFORE YOU GO…
… we’d like to ask for your support. More people are reading the Mississippi Business Journal than ever before, but advertising revenues for all conventional media are falling fast. Unlike many, we do not use a pay wall, because we want to continue providing Mississippi’s most comprehensive business news each and every day. But that takes time, money and hard work. We do it because it is important to us … and equally important to you, if you value the flow of trustworthy news and information which have always kept America strong and free for more than 200 years.
If those who read our content will help fund it, we can continue to bring you the very best in news and information. Please consider joining us as a valued member, or if you prefer, make a one-time contribution.Click for more info