JACKSON – Cylinders manufactured by a Franklin, Tenn.-based company and used largely in the liquefied petroleum gas service are the subject of an emergency recall order from the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA) of the United States Department of Transportation (DOT), Commissioner of Insurance/State, according to a release from Fire Marshal Mike Chaney.
The cylinders, made of a fiberglass composite, manufactured by The Lite Cylinder Company Inc. (Lite Cylinder) may leak gas or suddenly rupture. The DOT order also terminates the company’s authority to re-qualify and manufacture DOT cylinders. No metal cylinders are affected by this order.
PHMSA also warns that attempts to empty the cylinder or remove the cylinder valve by unqualified persons may lead to serious injury or death.
Cylinders manufactured by Lite Cylinder with the following markings are subject to the recall.
• DOT-SP 14562
• DOT-SP-131-5 (Only if manufactured by The Lite Cylinder Company. Cylinders manufactured by Composite Scandinavia (M0408) and marked with this number are not subject to recall
• Any cylinder re-qualified under requalification approval H706
• Any cylinder manufactured under M5729
“Anyone in Mississippi who owns such a cylinder, is a gas filler, shipper or carrier of hazardous materials should pay close attention to the recall of this serious safety and fire hazard, and take the proper steps to dispose of the cylinder,” Chaney said.
PHMSA advises anyone possessing one of these cylinders to:
• Stop using the cylinder(s)
• Close the valve(s)
• Safely disconnect the cylinders once the valves are closed
• Store the cylinder(s) in a space that is well ventilated and not enclosed
• Protect the cylinder(s) from heat and keep away from all heat sources
• Return the cylinder(s) to your local LP gas dealer for disposal
For more information contact the Hazmat Info Center at 1-800-467-4922 or visit the PHMSA cylinder recall page at go.usa.gov/bbyV.