FULTON — The city of Fulton has awarded contracts for renovations of the Gaither House, one of the area’s oldest homes.
The home will receive new brickwork on its chimneys, a new brick sidewalk, weatherproofing and a new roof. Work on these renovations is expected to begin within the coming months and organizers hope work will be completed before the end of the year. The cost is about $42,000.
The Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal reports that funding includes a grant from the Mississippi Department of Archives and History, the Fulton Community Volunteers and the city of Fulton.
The Gaither House, also known as The Cedars, has been an object of community support since 2009.
The property’s owner, Fulton United Methodist Church, needed to take down the building, which was in dire need of repair, to make room for a new parsonage.
A small volunteer group, then-called Preserving Itawamba County’s History — members of which later formed the Fulton Community Volunteers — asked city officials to claim the 150-year-old home. Group members, headed by U.S. District Judge Sharion Aycock, offered to raise money to have the structure moved and, eventually, renovated.
In November of 2011, the Gaither House was moved about 200 yards west of its original location onto a small piece of property donated to the city by Fulton United Methodist Church. In 2012, the building was designated a historical landmark by the Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
Built in 1859 by Pleasant Cates, the Gaither House is an example of the raised planters’ cottage with Greek Revival details. Cates, who operated a cotton gin on the property, called the house “The Cedars” in reference to the line of cedar trees which continues to grow on the property.
In 1901, William “Bill” Gaither acquired the property and furnishings from Cates and his descendants lived in the home until 2007.
— Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal