Home » NEWS » River traffic interrupted after tugboat sinks; owner of boat still unknown

River traffic interrupted after tugboat sinks; owner of boat still unknown

MISSISSIPPI RIVER — One-way traffic is moving on the Mississippi River while crews search for a sunken tugboat.

Although 15 ships were waiting to travel upriver at one point today, Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer Bobby Nash says the queue had been cleared by late morning

Authorities don’t know why the 48-foot tugboat called “C-Pec” sank Saturday, or who owns it. A good Samaritan rescued both people on board. Petty Officer Carlos Vega says the Coast Guard doesn’t have their names.

The 10 miles starting at the river’s mouth were closed until Sunday night. The Coast Guard says it is unclear when two-way traffic will resume.

The cruise ship Carnival Conquest was diverted to Mobile, Ala. Its passengers are being bused from New Orleans to Alabama.

Carnival’s Elation arrived in New Orleans today and was to leave that evening.

BEFORE YOU GO…

… we’d like to ask for your support. More people are reading the Mississippi Business Journal than ever before, but advertising revenues for all conventional media are falling fast. Unlike many, we do not use a pay wall, because we want to continue providing Mississippi’s most comprehensive business news each and every day. But that takes time, money and hard work. We do it because it is important to us … and equally important to you, if you value the flow of trustworthy news and information which have always kept America strong and free for more than 200 years.

If those who read our content will help fund it, we can continue to bring you the very best in news and information. Please consider joining us as a valued member, or if you prefer, make a one-time contribution.

Click for more info

About Megan Wright

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*