GULF OF MEXICO — Federal regulators say workers have finished removing debris from the wellhead of a gas well that blew out in the Gulf of Mexico last month off the coast of Louisiana.
The Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement said yesterday that it has approved plans to send a camera down the wellbore as part of efforts to permanently seal the well.
On Sunday, workers started drilling a relief well that will take about 35 days to complete. Drilling mud and cement will be pumped into the well once the relief well intercepts it.
Nobody was injured when the well owned by Houston-based Walter Oil & Gas Corp. blew out on July 23. Authorities said sand and debris have clogged the well and stopped the flow of gas.