JACKSON — Due to the possibility of inclement weather, the location for today’s Mississippi Blues Trail marker unveilings has been changed.
The markers for both Charley Patton and the Chatmon Family/Mississippi Sheiks will be unveiled at 1 p.m. at the Mississippi e-Center @ Jackson State University located at 1230 Raymond Road in Jackson.
Live entertainment will be provided by Bobby Benison and Castro Coleman, aka Mr. Sipp the Mississippi Blues Child.
Mississippi blues master Charley Patton was born in Bolton on the site that was then known as Herring’s Place. Patton’s birthdate has often been reported as April 1891, but other sources cite earlier dates, including 1881, 1885 and 1887. (Birth certificates were not required in Mississippi until 1912.) Patton’s astounding body of recorded work (1929-1934) remains unparalleled, and his live performances were reportedly even more awe-inspiring. Patton died on April 29, 1934.
The Henderson Chatmon family, which produced some of Mississippi’s most important blues and string band musicians, lived near Texas Street in Bolton in 1900. Henderson’s sons Armenter, better known as “Bo Carter,” and Sam Chatmon recorded extensively as solo artists, and both also recorded with the Mississippi Sheiks, a popular group that featured their brother Lonnie Chatmon on fiddle. Various Chatmon ensembles entertained black and white audiences for several decades in Mississippi.
With over 170 markers, the Mississippi Blues Trail, a program of the Mississippi Development Authority’s Tourism Division, is a museum without walls taking visitors on a musical history journey through Mississippi and beyond. The trail started with the first official marker in Holly Ridge, the resting place of the blues guitarist Charley Patton, and winds its way to sites honoring B.B. King, Muddy Waters, Son House and others. Out-of-state markers are located in Chicago; Memphis; Los Angeles; Muscle Shoals, Alabama; Ferriday, Louisiana; Helena, Arkansas; Rockland, Maine; Grafton, Wisconsin; and Tallahassee, Florida. The first international marker was erected in Notodden, Norway in 2012.