Joblessness good and bad
Published: February 1,1999
The Mississippi Employment Security Commission (MESC) said nearly 10,000 more Mississippians were employed this past December over the same month in 1997. However, the overall unemployment rate in Mississippi in December was 4.3%, up from November’s 4.2%.
The national December average was 4%.
MESC said the strong performance of retail jobs during the holiday season was offset by the seasonal layoffs in agriculture and construction.
Lafayette County led the state with a 1.1% unemployment rate, followed by Oktibbeha and Rankin (1.7%). Sharkey County had the highest rate at 16.1%.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Two BancorpSouth mergers delayed by federal inquiries
- Moon River Foods creating 100 jobs in Mississippi Delta
- DAVID DALLAS: Mr. McDaniel goes to Washington
- Wasted away — Margaritaville in Biloxi to close by Sept. 19
- Severstal selling plants, including Severstal Columbus
- Judge to hear from True the Vote as McDaniel attempts to overturn loss to Cochran
- Google chooses Mad Genius as example of Internet use
- Weyerhaeuser investing $57M to modernize lumber mill
- Police find Attorney General Hood's stolen handgun