The View from Here
by Staff Writer
Published: September 3,2001
Summer is over.
With the passage of the Labor Day weekend, fall has its official, albeit not astronomical, geophysical or technical, beginning. Autumn, despite the heat and humidity of a September afternoon, is here, and with it comes falling leaves, football and the promise of a few pleasant days in October when the sky is a perfect blue and we’re not all sweating.
It’s the right time to look back over the past few months and indulge in a bit of “What I did during my summer vacation?” scattershooting — even though I haven’t had a summer vacation since the early 1990s.
In June and July I look forward to the “What I’m reading…” or “Great beach reads…” lists that spring up in newspapers, magazines, Web sites and are discussed on radio and TV. “Summer’s Blockbuster Books,” scream at me. I tend to avoid those. Perhaps I’ll read ‘em when they’re in paperback next year.
Even though I’m not lounging at the beach or hanging out in a mountain cabin with hours of free time to read the season’s smash pop lit hit, summer is a great time to enjoy a few good books. Too bad it’s over. But just in time for…well, perhaps the upcoming holidays or next summer…here’s a list of a few good books I was able to enjoy during the long, hot days of summer 2001:
- “Ignatius Rising: The Life of John Kennedy Toole,” Ren
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- The Dan Jones-IHL saga: Is this the story that started it all?
- DAVID DALLAS — From Dan and Dixie with love
- Email from Nash to Delta Council’s Morgan included in DHA court file
- Dan Jones rejects IHL offer, won't publicly apologize
- Delta Health Alliance CEO Karen Fox under investigation for possible misuse of funds
- BREAKING NEWS: Trustees offer new deal to Ole Miss chancellor Dan Jones
- Suit against Kemper employee Brett Wingo is dismissed
- Ole Miss chancellor: Talks continue over job status
- WRESTLING SUCCESS — Ted DiBiase Jr. leaves ring to become entrepreneur