As far as the eye can see
Published: March 16,2009
To many people, the Mississippi Delta seems to connote a somewhat sullen, mysterious stillness. Artist Gary Walters’ interpretation couldn’t be more different.
The Delta that inspires his watercolor landscape collection, “Delta Dreamin’,” explodes with vibrant color and dynamic movement. Broad skies resonate with sunlight at its rising, setting and midday. Clouds and shadows cast depth and contrast as well as visual respite from Walters’ exuberant palette.
With few exceptions, Walters maintains a horizontal format — a natural choice for a land distinguished by its flatness. Against broad, distant horizons, he plays a contrapunto of intersecting planes and complementary shapes in luminous colors and tones.
Here, Walters’ works are rarely overtly linear. It’s as if he’d rather shout in color-shapes and whisper in lines. Even the preliminary sketch marks often evident in watercolor paintings are absent. This may contribute to the sense of deliberate strength Walter’s works exude, despite the inherent fluidity of the media.
Published by Mississippi’s Quail Ridge Press, “Delta Dreamin’” is the second in a planned series showcasing Mississippi artists painting Mississippi scenes (Miriam Weems’ “Mostly Mississippi” was published last year). Handsomely produced, each page features one painting and includes the title, size and location of subject. The latter is particularly important because, with the exception of unmistakable places such as Doe’s and Dockery Farms, Deltans will swear each painting depicts their immediate community.
Sam Gore, renown artist and retired chairman of the Mississippi College Art Department , contributes the forward.
“Delta Dreamin’” is a celebration of not only the unique beauty of the Delta and its landmarks, but the art of watercolor. How fortunate for us that Gary Walters chose our home for inspiration.
—Mary Dale McCormick, McCormick Book Inn, Greenville
Gary Walters; Delta Dreamin’
Forward by Samuel Marshal Gore
(Quail Ridge Press)
Hardback — $39.95
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Giles Ward will not seek reelection to Senate
- Congressional delegation applauds Air Force's decision on Keesler, but not satisfied
- Report: Mississippi sees biggest hike in home insurance premiums in U.S.
- (UPDATED) Making Jackson-Evers affordable to Allegiant is key to regaining Orlando service
- Businessman involved in Frankel insurance scam dies at 81
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- County rescinds gun ban; sheriff says lawmakers may 'deal with the consequences'
- Commission to decide if emergency should be declared in Delta school system
- Leadership in Law nomination form