Housing program on track
Published: June 5,2009
MISSISSIPPI GULF COAST — With the opening of 262 new units May 28, the Mississippi Development Authority’s (MDA’s) Public Housing Grant Program, funded through Mississippi’s $5.4-billion federally provided Hurricane Katrina recovery package, has now finished more than 900 public housing units, and more are poised to become available in the coming weeks.
“We said in April that we expect about 600 units to be finished before the end of June, and we’re poised to achieve that goal,” Governor Haley Barbour said. “We’re not just building back old-style public housing, we’re building a new type of public housing that is attractive to residents, complements the surrounding area and is something in which the entire community can take pride.”
Two of these projects, part of Mississippi Regional Housing Authority 8’s Katrina recovery plan, officially opened during ceremony held May 28 in Pascagoula. Morrison Village, located on Old Mobile Highway, is a 120-unit complex for senior adults. Down the street, Taylor Heights will provide 144 units of single family housing available for all ages.
Working with local housing authorities in Harrison, Hancock and Jackson counties, the State of Mississippi has allocated $106 million in federally-appropriated Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) funding to restore the public housing stock, which was damaged or destroyed by Hurricane Katrina.
The State of Mississippi has committed $7 million to build both Pascagoula projects, coupled with $21 million in tax credit financing administered through the Mississippi Home Corporation.
In total, more than 2,000 of about 2,500 planned post-Katrina public housing units are completed, under construction or about to begin construction.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Ingalls to lease former SRHS clinic in Gautier for employee medical center
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Miss. surgeon sentenced in tax evasion case
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- WRESTLING SUCCESS — Ted DiBiase Jr. leaves ring to become entrepreneur
- Pearl ordering rental properties to retrofit with sprinklers, build storm shelters
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option
- MBJ exclusive: Jackson’s new airport CEO fulfills desire to taking on the top job
- Two new casinos like the odds on Mississippi Gulf Coast