PSC, AGO seeking restraining order
Published: June 5,2009
JACKSON — Northern District Public Service Commissioner Brandon Presley has executed a joint investigative agreement with the Mississippi Attorney General’s Office (AGO) that will result in the agencies requesting a restraining order against a company that possibly is responsible for a large majority of the auto warranty telemarketing calls being made throughout Mississippi.
The Public Service Commission (PSC) and the AGO plan to file the request as early as next week. The scam involves calling citizens to falsely claim that their auto warranty has expired and requesting credit card information in order to renew.
“Thankfully, this is now a multi-state, multi-agency effort to go after these violators and stop these harassing calls,” Presley said. “My staff and I have been working in recent weeks with the FTC Chicago Division, the Tennessee Regulatory Authority, the Indiana Attorney General’s Telephone Privacy Division as well as the Mississippi Attorney General’s Office in order to combine our efforts and gain more information against these companies and it is paying off.”
Presley said investigators in his office brought specific information to the PSC that resulted in the restraining order being sought and the joint investigative agreement with the AGO.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- TECH 21 — Mississippi's most wanted in technology
- Circuit clerks question how to get records to McDaniel's trial
- PEDIGREE dog food recalled; might contain metal fragments
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- R.J. Allen ranked as fastest-growing company in Mississippi
- Judicial candidates put on ballot after rejection of challenges
- DAVID DALLAS — Mississippi needs one university
- Tragedy for Jackson Prep: Football player Walker Wilbanks dies
- MSU receives funding for two proposals aimed at boosting NASA missions