PSC, AGO seeking restraining order
Published: June 5,2009
JACKSON — Northern District Public Service Commissioner Brandon Presley has executed a joint investigative agreement with the Mississippi Attorney General’s Office (AGO) that will result in the agencies requesting a restraining order against a company that possibly is responsible for a large majority of the auto warranty telemarketing calls being made throughout Mississippi.
The Public Service Commission (PSC) and the AGO plan to file the request as early as next week. The scam involves calling citizens to falsely claim that their auto warranty has expired and requesting credit card information in order to renew.
“Thankfully, this is now a multi-state, multi-agency effort to go after these violators and stop these harassing calls,” Presley said. “My staff and I have been working in recent weeks with the FTC Chicago Division, the Tennessee Regulatory Authority, the Indiana Attorney General’s Telephone Privacy Division as well as the Mississippi Attorney General’s Office in order to combine our efforts and gain more information against these companies and it is paying off.”
Presley said investigators in his office brought specific information to the PSC that resulted in the restraining order being sought and the joint investigative agreement with the AGO.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Wasted away — Margaritaville in Biloxi to close by Sept. 19
- WILLOUGHBY: Broadband Voice founder Gary Watts isn’t afraid to take chances
- Severstal selling plants, including Severstal Columbus
- McDaniel alleges GOP race-baiting; says party should be 'purged'
- Mississippi Power conducts successful tests at Kemper plant
- Two BancorpSouth mergers delayed by federal inquiries
- Seafood dealer/processor guilty of illegal handling of oysters
- Police find Attorney General Hood's stolen handgun
- Medical transportation company opening operation/call center
- Chevron U.S.A.'s base oil facility begins production