PSC, AGO seeking restraining order
Published: June 5,2009
JACKSON — Northern District Public Service Commissioner Brandon Presley has executed a joint investigative agreement with the Mississippi Attorney General’s Office (AGO) that will result in the agencies requesting a restraining order against a company that possibly is responsible for a large majority of the auto warranty telemarketing calls being made throughout Mississippi.
The Public Service Commission (PSC) and the AGO plan to file the request as early as next week. The scam involves calling citizens to falsely claim that their auto warranty has expired and requesting credit card information in order to renew.
“Thankfully, this is now a multi-state, multi-agency effort to go after these violators and stop these harassing calls,” Presley said. “My staff and I have been working in recent weeks with the FTC Chicago Division, the Tennessee Regulatory Authority, the Indiana Attorney General’s Telephone Privacy Division as well as the Mississippi Attorney General’s Office in order to combine our efforts and gain more information against these companies and it is paying off.”
Presley said investigators in his office brought specific information to the PSC that resulted in the restraining order being sought and the joint investigative agreement with the AGO.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Deal for Jackson-Orlando flights in works with Allegiant
- Great River Industries moving headquarters to Natchez
- (UPDATED) Making Jackson-Evers affordable to Allegiant is key to regaining Orlando service
- Congressional delegation applauds Air Force's decision on Keesler, but not satisfied
- Baseball stadium for Farish Street? It’s possible
- The Blues and higher education — Delta State launches the International Delta Blues Project
- County rescinds gun ban; sheriff says lawmakers may 'deal with the consequences'
- Singing River shutting doors on two Coast clinics
- Moon River Foods creating 100 jobs in Mississippi Delta
- Former state lawmaker Green dies at home at age 62