Barbour blasts Obama’s policies
Published: June 9,2009
BILOXI — Gov. Haley Barbour is still concerned that the Obama Administration’s cap-and-trade policies would “burn America’s families and businesses.”
Speaking at the 2009 Southern Growth Policies Board annual meeting in Biloxi June 8, Barbour cautioned against having the United States move from having no coherent energy policy to a policy that would increase taxes on oil and gas by $81 billion.
The Obama Administration’s proposed energy policy would have the inevitable result of substantially increasing the cost of energy to American families and American businesses, especially manufacturing,” Barbour said.
Barbour said the Obama policies would severely punish Southern states, which have tremendous resources in coal, natural gas and oil, and ignores the vast potential of nuclear power.
Barbour serves as the current chair of the Southern Growth Policies Board, which is focusing its conference on energy-related economic development.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- DAVID DALLAS: You say “Obama”, I say “Ebola”
- Judge gets more time to fight efforts to remove him from office
- Coast cleanup nets 1,600 bags of trash — and a watermelon patch
- Voters to decide whether hunting, fishing is constitutional right
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Andrew Adams helps grow Addicus
- State's bad bridges continue to raise concerns among officials
- Number of visitors to Natchez Trace makes big jump
- MISSISSIPPI RISING: Time to sell the image
- Epidemiologist: State's hospitals can identify, isolate Ebola cases
- C Spire wins national award, cash prize for marketing analytics