Barbour blasts Obama’s policies
Published: June 9,2009
BILOXI — Gov. Haley Barbour is still concerned that the Obama Administration’s cap-and-trade policies would “burn America’s families and businesses.”
Speaking at the 2009 Southern Growth Policies Board annual meeting in Biloxi June 8, Barbour cautioned against having the United States move from having no coherent energy policy to a policy that would increase taxes on oil and gas by $81 billion.
The Obama Administration’s proposed energy policy would have the inevitable result of substantially increasing the cost of energy to American families and American businesses, especially manufacturing,” Barbour said.
Barbour said the Obama policies would severely punish Southern states, which have tremendous resources in coal, natural gas and oil, and ignores the vast potential of nuclear power.
Barbour serves as the current chair of the Southern Growth Policies Board, which is focusing its conference on energy-related economic development.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Oxford’s FNC getting new headquarters
- QUIRKY? NO, JERKY — Whatever your craving, Beef Jerky Outlets likely has the flavor among 200+ choices
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- TECH 21 — Mississippi's most wanted in technology
- Federal charges dropped against Shumate after guilty plea
- ALAN TURNER — The ‘Internet of things’ is focus of Camgian's Gary Butler
- Cochran's attorneys argue for dismissal of McDaniel's lawsuit
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY — State roots key to Edge Theory's Joe Stradinger
- MEMA warns of hottest temperatures of the year