Belk has decided to close Metrocenter store in Jackson
Published: June 22,2009
JACKSON — Belk is closing its store in the Metrocenter Mall. Gary Siler, senior vice president and director of stores for the Belk Western Division, released the following statement:
“We have made the difficult decision to close our Belk store at Metrocenter Mall in Jackson in August 2009. We will be re-focusing our efforts and resources on serving customers in this region from our Belk stores at Dogwood Festival in Flowood and Northpark Mall in Ridgeland.
“Our decision to close the store was made after carefully evaluating our business plans and competitive position in the Jackson market. We are pleased that all associates in good standing at our Metrocenter store will be offered jobs at the Flowood and Ridgeland stores or other Belk locations. A total of 65 associates are currently employed at the Metrocenter store.
“We announced the closing to associates at our Metro Center store earlier today, and individual meetings are being conducted with affected associates to discuss their employment status and eligibility for benefits and severance. Associates who do not accept transfers to other stores as a result of the store closing and who remain employed at the Metrocenter store through its closing date will be eligible for severance pay.
“Our store at Metro Center has been an important part of this community since 1976. We value the loyalty and patronage of our customers and hope they will continue to shop with us at our at Dogwood Festival store in Flowood, which completed a major expansion and renovation in 2006, and at our Northpark Mall store in Ridgeland.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- UMMC reaching out after death of high school football player
- Former Godwin CEO Danny Mitchell dies at 66
- MDOT: Work on I-269 is on schedule, several phases at halfway point
- Margaritaville owner files for bankruptcy before landlord hearing
- Delta Council says condition of Highway 6 'of crisis dimensions'
- Northrop Grumman lands $354M Air Force contract for Global Hawks
- BLAKE WILSON: Danny Mitchell was a remarkable business leader, a better friend
- Severstal completes the sale of Columbus plant to Steel Dynamics
- Another marker going up on Mississippi Country Music Trail