Hancock Fabric sees losses beginning to narrow
by Wally Northway
Published: June 22,2009
BALDWYN — During the first quarter of 2009, Hancock Fabrics posted a net loss of $900,000, or $0.05 per share, compared to a net loss of $5.3 million, or $0.28 per share, during the first quarter of 2008.
At the same time, the company saw net sales of $64.1 million, compared with $63.8 million during the comparable period last year, and comparable sales increased 2.3 percent during the most recent quarter, compared with 3.1 percent during the first quarter the prior year.
Hancock president and CEO Jane Aggers said, “Although the retail environment is still challenging, we continue to make progress on our key operating initiatives — improving operations and reducing debt. Our efforts have resulted in the significant increase in EBITDA (up $2.8 million over the first quarter of 2008) and the narrowing of our loss.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- MSU researchers develop timber-management software
- New law on taxing methods hailed as big win for businesses
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- Panther Creek's location in medical industry zone boosts bio-med prospects
- BBB issues warning involving asphalt paving scam
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip