Hood warns of Internet scam
Published: June 22,2009
JACKSON — Attorney General Jim Hood is warning of an Internet scam that is targeting local attorneys and law firms.
News reports indicate attorneys in several states have already fallen prey to this scam. The Mississippi Bar Association has also alerted its members of this scam.
An attorney/law firm receives an e-mail referral from someone saying that they have a collection matter or contract dispute and need a local attorney to handle. They will establish a relationship and after a short period of time, the client will notify the attorney that they have resolved the matter and have instructed the debtor to issue a check payable to the attorney. The attorney is instructed by the client to deposit the money into his account, take his fees and then wire the balance to the client.
The scam occurs when the attorney receives the check and deposits it into his bank account. The check is bogus and comes back unpaid and the attorney is liable for the funds.
Anyone who suspects they have been a victim of this scam or any other should contact the Consumer Protection Division of the Attorney General’s Office at 1-800-281-4418. This alert and others like it can be found on the Consumer section of the Attorney General Office’s website, www.agjimhood.com.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- (UPDATED) Making Jackson-Evers affordable to Allegiant is key to regaining Orlando service
- Congressional delegation applauds Air Force's decision on Keesler, but not satisfied
- Deal for Jackson-Orlando flights in works with Allegiant
- County rescinds gun ban; sheriff says lawmakers may 'deal with the consequences'
- Businessman involved in Frankel insurance scam dies at 81
- Report: Mississippi sees biggest hike in home insurance premiums in U.S.
- Giles Ward will not seek reelection to Senate
- Great River Industries moving headquarters to Natchez
- Commission to decide if emergency should be declared in Delta school system
- Leadership in Law nomination form