Groundbreakings bring promise
Published: June 29,2009
STONE COUNTY — Two groundbreakings recently held in Stone County and the City of Wiggins marked what will eventually total more than $38 million in new water and wastewater infrastructure. Two groundbreakings were held to mark the official start of a new water system and wastewater system that will impact both Stone County and the City of Wiggins.
“This marks an historic day for Stone County,” said Stone County Utility Authority Board president Dick O’Neal. “This new infrastructure will help support our local economy today and put us in a position to enjoy steady growth and economic development in the future.”
According to the Stone County Economic Development Partnership (EDP), it is projected up to 461 new construction and construction-related jobs will be created now that projects are underway. These jobs will have an estimated payroll of almost $16 million impacting the local economy.
One of the benefits Stone County will see almost immediately upon completion is a significant upgrade in fire safety. The water project alone will have a direct impact of over $10 million. The project will provide a water source that will enhance firefighting abilities for rural fire departments in Sunflower, McHenry and Perkinston.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Canadian company purchasing Southern Lumber for nearly $50M
- Winchester lands $50M ammunition contract from Homeland Security
- Lawmakers question education leaders about escalating administrative costs
- Deer processors need to use caution to insure safe, tasty venison
- Pearl ordering rental properties to retrofit with sprinklers, build storm shelters
- C Spire completes acquisition of MegaGate Broadband
- Jackson’s Landmark Center slated for mixed-use conversion
- Peavey Electronics reorganizing under new globalization plan
- 50 Leading Business Women in Mississippi (digital magazine)
- Ex-circuit clerk Palmertree gets 10 years for embezzlement