Groundbreakings bring promise
by MBJ Newswires
Published: June 29,2009
STONE COUNTY — Two groundbreakings recently held in Stone County and the City of Wiggins marked what will eventually total more than $38 million in new water and wastewater infrastructure. Two groundbreakings were held to mark the official start of a new water system and wastewater system that will impact both Stone County and the City of Wiggins.
“This marks an historic day for Stone County,” said Stone County Utility Authority Board president Dick O’Neal. “This new infrastructure will help support our local economy today and put us in a position to enjoy steady growth and economic development in the future.”
According to the Stone County Economic Development Partnership (EDP), it is projected up to 461 new construction and construction-related jobs will be created now that projects are underway. These jobs will have an estimated payroll of almost $16 million impacting the local economy.
One of the benefits Stone County will see almost immediately upon completion is a significant upgrade in fire safety. The water project alone will have a direct impact of over $10 million. The project will provide a water source that will enhance firefighting abilities for rural fire departments in Sunflower, McHenry and Perkinston.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- MSU researchers develop timber-management software
- New law on taxing methods hailed as big win for businesses
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- Panther Creek's location in medical industry zone boosts bio-med prospects
- BBB issues warning involving asphalt paving scam
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip