Peoples reduces semiannual dividend
BILOXI — The board of directors of Peoples Financial Corporation, parent of The Peoples Bank, declared a reduced regular semiannual cash dividend of $0.20 per common share, payable July 15, 2009, to stockholders of record July 8, 2009.
“This dividend level is consistent with our long-term goal of returning about 35 percent of our earnings to our shareholders,” said Chevis C. Swetman, chairman of the board and CEO of the holding company and the bank. “In 2008, our dividend payout increased to 59.6% of earnings. Knowing this level is not sustainable, our board of directors has concluded it is prudent to reduce the dividend in order to build capital in this troubled economy.”
The last dividend paid in Jan. 2009 was $0.30 per share. Previously, the dividend had been increased 11 consecutive times.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Drew Brees settles lawsuit alleging investment fraud
- Doctor convicted of using phony church for tax shelter
- Ex-Delta mayor indicted, accused of stealing city property
- Cochran's legal counsel asks Court to toss McDaniel's lawsuit
- Williams-Sonoma expanding, adding nearly 1,000 jobs
- Ex-baliff wants pay or her job back after termination
- More than half-dozen groups file charter school applications
- State Rep. Patterson switches from Democrats to GOP
- Biloxi baseball project still alive but may be held for 2015