Peoples reduces semiannual dividend
BILOXI — The board of directors of Peoples Financial Corporation, parent of The Peoples Bank, declared a reduced regular semiannual cash dividend of $0.20 per common share, payable July 15, 2009, to stockholders of record July 8, 2009.
“This dividend level is consistent with our long-term goal of returning about 35 percent of our earnings to our shareholders,” said Chevis C. Swetman, chairman of the board and CEO of the holding company and the bank. “In 2008, our dividend payout increased to 59.6% of earnings. Knowing this level is not sustainable, our board of directors has concluded it is prudent to reduce the dividend in order to build capital in this troubled economy.”
The last dividend paid in Jan. 2009 was $0.30 per share. Previously, the dividend had been increased 11 consecutive times.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- UMMC reaching out after death of high school football player
- Former Godwin CEO Danny Mitchell dies at 66
- Northrop Grumman lands $354M Air Force contract for Global Hawks
- MDOT: Work on I-269 is on schedule, several phases at halfway point
- More school districts join MAEP lawsuit brought by Musgrove
- Thousands of acres of Delta farmland to go on auction block
- Court tosses challenge to Miss. Silicon’s clean air permit
- S&P: State in top 10 in U.S. in sales tax dependency
- Biloxi baseball project still alive but may be held for 2015