Peoples reduces semiannual dividend
BILOXI — The board of directors of Peoples Financial Corporation, parent of The Peoples Bank, declared a reduced regular semiannual cash dividend of $0.20 per common share, payable July 15, 2009, to stockholders of record July 8, 2009.
“This dividend level is consistent with our long-term goal of returning about 35 percent of our earnings to our shareholders,” said Chevis C. Swetman, chairman of the board and CEO of the holding company and the bank. “In 2008, our dividend payout increased to 59.6% of earnings. Knowing this level is not sustainable, our board of directors has concluded it is prudent to reduce the dividend in order to build capital in this troubled economy.”
The last dividend paid in Jan. 2009 was $0.30 per share. Previously, the dividend had been increased 11 consecutive times.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- George Flaggs regrets repayment flaw in lending law
- TECH 21 — Mississippi's most wanted in technology
- Mississippi judge dismisses lawsuit seeking to overturn Sen. Cochran's GOP primary win
- Chefs John Folse and Rick Tramonto are dotting every ‘i’ and crossing every ‘t’ in the development of Seafood R’evolution, which is set to open in November
- Bryant issues executive order to establish Delta water task force
- PEDIGREE dog food recalled; might contain metal fragments