Peoples reduces semiannual dividend
BILOXI — The board of directors of Peoples Financial Corporation, parent of The Peoples Bank, declared a reduced regular semiannual cash dividend of $0.20 per common share, payable July 15, 2009, to stockholders of record July 8, 2009.
“This dividend level is consistent with our long-term goal of returning about 35 percent of our earnings to our shareholders,” said Chevis C. Swetman, chairman of the board and CEO of the holding company and the bank. “In 2008, our dividend payout increased to 59.6% of earnings. Knowing this level is not sustainable, our board of directors has concluded it is prudent to reduce the dividend in order to build capital in this troubled economy.”
The last dividend paid in Jan. 2009 was $0.30 per share. Previously, the dividend had been increased 11 consecutive times.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Report: Mississippi sees biggest hike in home insurance premiums in U.S.
- Congressional delegation applauds Air Force's decision on Keesler, but not satisfied
- Giles Ward will not seek reelection to Senate
- Businessman involved in Frankel insurance scam dies at 81
- (UPDATED) Making Jackson-Evers affordable to Allegiant is key to regaining Orlando service
- County rescinds gun ban; sheriff says lawmakers may 'deal with the consequences'
- Commission to decide if emergency should be declared in Delta school system
- Leadership in Law nomination form
- Ex-state employee gets jail time for embezzling from school
- MDOT study: State's airports generate $2.5B-plus in economic activity