Peoples reduces semiannual dividend
BILOXI — The board of directors of Peoples Financial Corporation, parent of The Peoples Bank, declared a reduced regular semiannual cash dividend of $0.20 per common share, payable July 15, 2009, to stockholders of record July 8, 2009.
“This dividend level is consistent with our long-term goal of returning about 35 percent of our earnings to our shareholders,” said Chevis C. Swetman, chairman of the board and CEO of the holding company and the bank. “In 2008, our dividend payout increased to 59.6% of earnings. Knowing this level is not sustainable, our board of directors has concluded it is prudent to reduce the dividend in order to build capital in this troubled economy.”
The last dividend paid in Jan. 2009 was $0.30 per share. Previously, the dividend had been increased 11 consecutive times.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Bids on reworking Interstate 55 stretch are rejected
- Spivey named Under 40 Business Person of the Year by the Mississippi Business Journal
- JACK WEATHERLY: Economic development in these parts is a ‘family’ business
- Hosemann to launch crowd funding program
- CFPB wants repay ability at center of new payday loan rules
- Terminal upgrade on indefinite hold at Jackson International Airport
- ALAN TURNER: Education in Mississippi – good and bad news
- JOSH MABUS: The Tao of Road House
- Answering the Bell: Interim Ole Miss law school dean well-regarded for directing hands-on clinical training