ARRA funding paying for road work
Published: July 20,2009
HATTIESBURG — The Mississippi Department of Transportation (MDOT) will soon oversee the resurfacing of 5.3 miles of U.S. 49 through Hattiesburg from Edwards Street continuing north to 31st Avenue.
The $8.3-million project, fully funded by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA), was awarded to Dunn Roadbuilders of Laurel. The project is scheduled for completion by the end of the year.
An estimated $27.5 billion in ARRA funding will go toward roadway and bridge improvements. Transportation officials are crafting a plan that will provide an equitable distribution of projects throughout Mississippi to ensure the greatest possible impact in terms of job creation and economic development.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- DAVID DALLAS — Roger Wicker: Profile in discouragement
- Tommy Robertson indicted on five counts of embezzlement
- BILL CRAWFORD — More jobs, but fewer with jobs, huh?
- ANITA MODAK-TRURAN — Mississippi’s motion picture renaissance
- Despite obstacles, craft beer industry growing
- State's ventures into alt-fuel markets net few jobs
- Watch out for wildlife while driving on roads, highways
- Ecolab reducing Columbus workforce
- Finding your flexible space — Regus banks on high demand for customizable work spaces