Smith named state’s best driver
by MBJ Newswires
Published: August 3,2009
Tags: Dennis Middleton, FedEx Ground, Gerald Delancey, James Massengill, John Phillips, John Smith Jr., Mississippi Truck Driving Championships, Mississippi Trucking Association, Mooreville, professional truck driver, Rodney Talbert, Sam Aker, Tim Harris, Virgil "Tommy" Boyanton
John Smith Jr. of Mooreville was named the best professional truck driver in Mississippi after winning the tank truck competition and receiving the highest overall score in the nine competing categories at the 2009 Mississippi Truck Driving Championships. The annual event is sponsored by the Mississippi Trucking Association.
Smith, who drives for FedEx Ground, now qualifies to compete in the American Trucking Associations’ National Truck Driving Championships Aug. 18-22 in Pittsburgh, Pa. The winners from each of the eight other categories are also eligible to compete in the national championship.
Mississippi participants at National for each category include: Smith; John Phillips, Con-way Freight, Pearl (Straight Truck); Virgil “Tommy” Boyanton, FedEx Freight, Florence (Three-Axle); James Massengill, Wal-Mart Transportation, Saltillo (Four-Axle); Gerald Delancey, Wal-Mart Transportation, Purvis (Five-Axle); Dennis Middleton, Wal-Mart Transportation, Wesson (Five-Axle Sleeper); Sam Aker, Con-way Freight, Senatobia (Flatbed); Tim Harris, YRC, Rienzi (Twins); and, Rodney Talbert, FedEx Ground, Liberty (Step Van).
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Family launches Billups Coffee with headquarters in Oxford
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip
- ‘Just the beginning’ — Venture Technologies merging, acquiring companies
- Man indicted, accused of bankruptcy fraud
- Running luxury car dealerships, like Mercedes of Jackson, comes naturally to Trudy Higginbotham Moody
- Grenada native Donna Tartt wins Pulitzer Prize for 'The Goldfinch'
- Chaney drops lawsuit against National Flood Insurance Program
- TODD SMITH — Taco Bell and McDonalds take breakfast war viral; how to write killer news releases and more
- Fight between county, insurer over courthouse fire continues
- Judge to rule on release of Kemper power plant data