Smith named state’s best driver
Published: August 3,2009
Tags: Dennis Middleton, FedEx Ground, Gerald Delancey, James Massengill, John Phillips, John Smith Jr., Mississippi Truck Driving Championships, Mississippi Trucking Association, Mooreville, professional truck driver, Rodney Talbert, Sam Aker, Tim Harris, Virgil "Tommy" Boyanton
John Smith Jr. of Mooreville was named the best professional truck driver in Mississippi after winning the tank truck competition and receiving the highest overall score in the nine competing categories at the 2009 Mississippi Truck Driving Championships. The annual event is sponsored by the Mississippi Trucking Association.
Smith, who drives for FedEx Ground, now qualifies to compete in the American Trucking Associations’ National Truck Driving Championships Aug. 18-22 in Pittsburgh, Pa. The winners from each of the eight other categories are also eligible to compete in the national championship.
Mississippi participants at National for each category include: Smith; John Phillips, Con-way Freight, Pearl (Straight Truck); Virgil “Tommy” Boyanton, FedEx Freight, Florence (Three-Axle); James Massengill, Wal-Mart Transportation, Saltillo (Four-Axle); Gerald Delancey, Wal-Mart Transportation, Purvis (Five-Axle); Dennis Middleton, Wal-Mart Transportation, Wesson (Five-Axle Sleeper); Sam Aker, Con-way Freight, Senatobia (Flatbed); Tim Harris, YRC, Rienzi (Twins); and, Rodney Talbert, FedEx Ground, Liberty (Step Van).
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Brandon man hauls in record 756-pound alligator
- McDaniel delays decision on whether to appeal dismissal of lawsuit
- More than a dozen school districts sue state over funding
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Is cotton looking too good? Farmers facing weaker prices
- Jackson to get C Spire's high-speed internet
- New York firm buying majority interest in Tupelo mall, shopping center
- Bryant issues executive order to establish Delta water task force