Smith named state’s best driver
Published: August 3,2009
Tags: Dennis Middleton, FedEx Ground, Gerald Delancey, James Massengill, John Phillips, John Smith Jr., Mississippi Truck Driving Championships, Mississippi Trucking Association, Mooreville, professional truck driver, Rodney Talbert, Sam Aker, Tim Harris, Virgil "Tommy" Boyanton
John Smith Jr. of Mooreville was named the best professional truck driver in Mississippi after winning the tank truck competition and receiving the highest overall score in the nine competing categories at the 2009 Mississippi Truck Driving Championships. The annual event is sponsored by the Mississippi Trucking Association.
Smith, who drives for FedEx Ground, now qualifies to compete in the American Trucking Associations’ National Truck Driving Championships Aug. 18-22 in Pittsburgh, Pa. The winners from each of the eight other categories are also eligible to compete in the national championship.
Mississippi participants at National for each category include: Smith; John Phillips, Con-way Freight, Pearl (Straight Truck); Virgil “Tommy” Boyanton, FedEx Freight, Florence (Three-Axle); James Massengill, Wal-Mart Transportation, Saltillo (Four-Axle); Gerald Delancey, Wal-Mart Transportation, Purvis (Five-Axle); Dennis Middleton, Wal-Mart Transportation, Wesson (Five-Axle Sleeper); Sam Aker, Con-way Freight, Senatobia (Flatbed); Tim Harris, YRC, Rienzi (Twins); and, Rodney Talbert, FedEx Ground, Liberty (Step Van).
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Source: Bryant has offered Glenn McCullough MDA job
- College Board names Glenn Boyce as higher education chief
- TRANSITION AT THE MDA — Is Mississippi better off than it was 3 years ago?
- (WITH VIDEO) Funding secured for Capitol Art Lofts in downtown Jackson
- Deepwater Horizon Five Years Later — Restoring the Mississippi coast starts with a strong foundation
- PHIL HARDWICK: The third grade reading gate, book buddies and school principals
- Chancery Court’s interpretation of ‘public use’ will guide ruling on Westin money
- COMMERCIAL FINANCE 701: Loans disguised as government bonds (BOANs)
- THE SPIN CYCLE — Key results from Pew’s social media survey