Tax collections tumbling
JACKSON — Gov. Haley Barbour is urging state agencies to closely monitor expenditures as general fund collections fell $26.2 million, or 11.27 percent, below expectations for July 2009.
“State tax collections in July were much lower than anticipated,” Barbour said. “We cannot ignore the fact that revenues continue to fall below our expectations. State agencies must spend tax dollars responsibly and keep in mind that cuts may be needed in the current fiscal year.”
Revenue for the month fell $56 million, or 21 percent, compared with collections for July 2008. In fiscal year 2009, falling collections caused $200 million to be cut from the $5.6 billion state support budget.
The Legislature approved a $6-billion state support budget for the current FY 2010, which began July 1. The budget includes $523.2 million from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act. Barbour has warned that revenues through FY 2012 may fall below expectations.
“The effects of the current recession will continue to impact the state budget in the months and years to come,” Barbour said. “Mississippi faces serious budget problems. State agencies will have to live within their means while we keep a balanced, conservative budget in tact.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- GreenTech holds grand opening of neighborhood electric vehicle plant
- NEW IN MADISON COUNTY — Mississippi Bio-Medical Business Collaboratory to be introduced Friday
- Turner Grain’s transition will help consolidate lawsuits alleging breach of contract
- Granddaughter of Barq's Root Beer founder dies at 90
- Mississippi Film Studios signs contract with New Orleans company
- MDOT cutting more than 40 jobs in Right-of-Way Division
- David Duval, former British Open winner, joins Sanderson Farms field
- Mars Food expanding Delta plant; investing $31M and adding jobs
- Alcorn president launches new customer service task force
- Board authorizes sale of company that owns Silver Slipper Casino