Posey wins award, Karim lands grant
Published: August 10,2009
Tags: accounting, American Heart Association, Dr. Shahid Karim, Educator of the Year Award, Mississippi Society of Certified Public Accountants, Roderick Posey, Targeting Lyme Disease Vector, University of Southern Mississippi
Longtime University of Southern Mississippi accounting professor Roderick Posey took home the Educator of the Year Award at the annual convention of the Mississippi Society of Certified Public Accountants held June 27 in Sandestin, Fla. The Mississippi organization considers accounting educators from all of the state’s institutions of higher learning in bestowing this honor.
Posey, a former director of the School of Accountancy at Southern Miss, has been a member of the university’s faculty since 1979. A Hot Coffee native, he has authored more than 100 published articles related to accounting issues. In 2007, he received the Outstanding Faculty Award in the Southern Miss College of Business.
In a separate item, Dr. Shahid Karim, assistant professor of biology at the University of Southern Mississippi, recently received a $307,996 grant from the American Heart Association to research the effect genes have on a tick’s ability to carry dangerous pathogens such as agents of Lyme disease. The grant, titled “Targeting Lyme Disease Vector,” funds four years of research to understand the interaction of tick-pathogens and examining new ways to interrupt the life cycle of tick-borne pathogens and new strategies to fight these diseases.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Alcorn president launches new customer service task force
- NEW IN MADISON COUNTY — Mississippi Bio-Medical Business Collaboratory to be introduced Friday
- David Duval, former British Open winner, joins Sanderson Farms field
- Court rules against Greenwood councilwoman; must give up office
- Cochran continues to reach out to African American voters
- GreenTech holds grand opening of neighborhood electric vehicle plant
- Turner Grain’s bankruptcy will help consolidate lawsuits alleging breach of contract
- Peoples Bank reports quarterly loss due to bad loans
- Senators write letter over Waters of the United States proposal