Posey wins award, Karim lands grant
Published: August 10,2009
Tags: accounting, American Heart Association, Dr. Shahid Karim, Educator of the Year Award, Mississippi Society of Certified Public Accountants, Roderick Posey, Targeting Lyme Disease Vector, University of Southern Mississippi
Longtime University of Southern Mississippi accounting professor Roderick Posey took home the Educator of the Year Award at the annual convention of the Mississippi Society of Certified Public Accountants held June 27 in Sandestin, Fla. The Mississippi organization considers accounting educators from all of the state’s institutions of higher learning in bestowing this honor.
Posey, a former director of the School of Accountancy at Southern Miss, has been a member of the university’s faculty since 1979. A Hot Coffee native, he has authored more than 100 published articles related to accounting issues. In 2007, he received the Outstanding Faculty Award in the Southern Miss College of Business.
In a separate item, Dr. Shahid Karim, assistant professor of biology at the University of Southern Mississippi, recently received a $307,996 grant from the American Heart Association to research the effect genes have on a tick’s ability to carry dangerous pathogens such as agents of Lyme disease. The grant, titled “Targeting Lyme Disease Vector,” funds four years of research to understand the interaction of tick-pathogens and examining new ways to interrupt the life cycle of tick-borne pathogens and new strategies to fight these diseases.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Venture Tech merges with ISC, acquires SAT
- PSC's Brandon Presley calls in-state nuclear waste dump a 'harebrained scheme'
- Georgia-Pacific completes acquisition of SPG Holdings
- Community Bank names new officers
- Retired judge to hear McDaniel's challenge of primary loss to Cochran
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- C Spire, UM installing Wi-Fi network at Vaught-Hemingway Stadium
- Corps official: River needs larger ports, locks and dams
- Southern Bancorp to acquire Bank of Bolivar County