Senate passes agriculture and FDA bill
The FY2010 Agriculture, Rural Development, Food and Drug Administration Appropriations Bill (HR.2997) has been approved by an 80-17 vote in the U.S. Senate. As a member of the Senate Agriculture Appropriations Subcommittee, Sen. Thad Cochran (R-Miss.) will now serve on a joint conference committee to reconcile differences in the House and Senate-passed versions of the bill.
The following are highlights of funding for Mississippi in the measure:
- Jamie Whitten Delta States Research Center, Stoneville — $4 million in USDA Agriculture Research Service (ARS) funds to continue repairs and renovations to the ARS
- National Center for Natural Products Research, University of Mississippi — $3.49 million for Phase II construction, and $1.6 million in Food and Drug Administration (FDA) funds to support dietary supplements research
- Alcorn State University — $1.5 million in ARS funds for a facility to support research on applying advanced technologies to environmental and agriculture challenges
- Mississippi Valley State University — $1 million in USDA National Institute for Food and Agriculture (NIFA) funds to support curriculum development, university research, education and outreach programs
- University Center for Biomass-Based Energy, Mississippi State University (MSU) — $839,000 in NIFA funding to support development of a plant-based gasification process to produce liquid fuel, a program that also involves Oklahoma State University
- Genomics for Southern Crop Stress and Disease, MSU — $797,000 in NIFA funding to continue the study of crop genomics to improve agriculture production
Of consequence to Mississippi, the measure provides $1.79 billion for the Farm Service Agency (FSA), including $67 million in new funding to modernize FSA computer systems nationwide to improve the delivery of commodity and disaster payments to producers.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- BBB issues warning involving asphalt paving scam
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Mississippi State makes NSF ranking of research universities
- Panther Creek's location in medical industry zone boosts bio-med prospects
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip
- Sawtimber, pulpwood markets improving, but challenges remain
- TVA president/CEO Johnson tours Techumseh, Yokohama plants
- News The Way You Want It!