Senate passes agriculture and FDA bill
The FY2010 Agriculture, Rural Development, Food and Drug Administration Appropriations Bill (HR.2997) has been approved by an 80-17 vote in the U.S. Senate. As a member of the Senate Agriculture Appropriations Subcommittee, Sen. Thad Cochran (R-Miss.) will now serve on a joint conference committee to reconcile differences in the House and Senate-passed versions of the bill.
The following are highlights of funding for Mississippi in the measure:
- Jamie Whitten Delta States Research Center, Stoneville — $4 million in USDA Agriculture Research Service (ARS) funds to continue repairs and renovations to the ARS
- National Center for Natural Products Research, University of Mississippi — $3.49 million for Phase II construction, and $1.6 million in Food and Drug Administration (FDA) funds to support dietary supplements research
- Alcorn State University — $1.5 million in ARS funds for a facility to support research on applying advanced technologies to environmental and agriculture challenges
- Mississippi Valley State University — $1 million in USDA National Institute for Food and Agriculture (NIFA) funds to support curriculum development, university research, education and outreach programs
- University Center for Biomass-Based Energy, Mississippi State University (MSU) — $839,000 in NIFA funding to support development of a plant-based gasification process to produce liquid fuel, a program that also involves Oklahoma State University
- Genomics for Southern Crop Stress and Disease, MSU — $797,000 in NIFA funding to continue the study of crop genomics to improve agriculture production
Of consequence to Mississippi, the measure provides $1.79 billion for the Farm Service Agency (FSA), including $67 million in new funding to modernize FSA computer systems nationwide to improve the delivery of commodity and disaster payments to producers.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Judge moves McDaniel's lawsuit challenging loss to Cochran
- Tragedy for Jackson Prep: Football player Walker Wilbanks dies
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- TECH 21 — Mississippi's most wanted in technology
- Scientists seeing more invasive trapjaw ants on Coast
- DAVID DALLAS — Mississippi needs one university
- Trop Greenville ahead of schedule on significant expansion
- Judge rules for Fish and Wildlife Service in frog habitat case
- Diamondhead Casino Corporation wins site approval