Senate passes agriculture and FDA bill
The FY2010 Agriculture, Rural Development, Food and Drug Administration Appropriations Bill (HR.2997) has been approved by an 80-17 vote in the U.S. Senate. As a member of the Senate Agriculture Appropriations Subcommittee, Sen. Thad Cochran (R-Miss.) will now serve on a joint conference committee to reconcile differences in the House and Senate-passed versions of the bill.
The following are highlights of funding for Mississippi in the measure:
– Jamie Whitten Delta States Research Center, Stoneville — $4 million in USDA Agriculture Research Service (ARS) funds to continue repairs and renovations to the ARS
– National Center for Natural Products Research, University of Mississippi — $3.49 million for Phase II construction, and $1.6 million in Food and Drug Administration (FDA) funds to support dietary supplements research
– Alcorn State University — $1.5 million in ARS funds for a facility to support research on applying advanced technologies to environmental and agriculture challenges
– Mississippi Valley State University — $1 million in USDA National Institute for Food and Agriculture (NIFA) funds to support curriculum development, university research, education and outreach programs
– University Center for Biomass-Based Energy, Mississippi State University (MSU) — $839,000 in NIFA funding to support development of a plant-based gasification process to produce liquid fuel, a program that also involves Oklahoma State University
– Genomics for Southern Crop Stress and Disease, MSU — $797,000 in NIFA funding to continue the study of crop genomics to improve agriculture production
Of consequence to Mississippi, the measure provides $1.79 billion for the Farm Service Agency (FSA), including $67 million in new funding to modernize FSA computer systems nationwide to improve the delivery of commodity and disaster payments to producers.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Ingalls to lease former SRHS clinic in Gautier for employee medical center
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Miss. surgeon sentenced in tax evasion case
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- WRESTLING SUCCESS — Ted DiBiase Jr. leaves ring to become entrepreneur
- Williams Brothers General Store is something to count on
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option
- MBJ exclusive: Jackson’s new airport CEO fulfills desire to taking on the top job
- Pearl ordering rental properties to retrofit with sprinklers, build storm shelters