Stokes wins Entergy award
Published: August 10,2009
Tina Stokes, general manager of Schnuck’s Grocery in Horn Lake, is a 2009 recipient of the Teamwork Mississippi Community Leadership Award. Stokes and husband, Berry, moved to Horn Lake in Nov. 2000. She has been at the forefront of community development projects as a leader and volunteer ever since.
Stokes is the incoming president of the Horn Lake Chamber of Commerce and the first person to be elected president a second time. While on the chamber’s board of directors, Stokes was involved in the Goodman Road Corridor’s revitalization, the Wooten Neighborhood Park rebuilding and clean-up, downtown historic district building identification and other economic and community development projects.
Stokes is a past recipient of the Edward J. Schnuck Award, given annually to one Schnuck’s employee who exemplifies community service where he or she lives. She represents DeSoto County on the allocations committee for the Greater Memphis United Way, and the Schnuck’s store she manages holds an annual auction and garage sale to benefit the organization. It is one of the biggest annual fundraisers for the metro area United Way. Because of Stokes’ leadership, the local Schnuck’s Grocery annually donates to the Neighborhood Watch program, the Horn Lake Police and Fire Departments, the Power to Care fund, various Horn Lake Chamber events and many other groups.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Molpus closes Fund after more than $662M in commitments
- Realtors chooses Nita Wingard
- DeSoto County Supervisor Lee dies in ATV accident on his birthday
- No debate, but Cochran and Childers lobby for votes for Senate
- Entergy agrees to cut $35M from its new rate plan
- Politics of paying for transportation: Hand wringing and a lot of talk
- MSU reminding fans that drones are prohibited at football games
- Ford Foundation gives to UM for new science building
- Kemper County plant will cost at least another $496M to complete