New Drug Court established
by MBJ Newswires
Published: August 17,2009
Lauderdale County Court Judge Veldore Young will preside over the Drug Court. Senior Circuit Judge Robert Bailey assigned Judge Young to sit as a special circuit judge for the purpose of handling all cases assigned to the drug court.
The first participant entered the program Aug. 4. The program is expected to be able to accommodate 75 people.
The Drug Court will accept first offenders charged with felony drug possession. Participants must plead guilty to charges when they enter the Drug Court program. Adjudication of charges will be withheld pending their successful completion of the program. Some can be eligible to have their records wiped clean after they successfully complete the program.
The Office of the District Attorney must approve a referral to Drug Court. Then the Drug Court team will screen the person for possible acceptance.
The program in the beginning will focus on participants from Lauderdale County. The program could later be expanded to accept people referred from Clarke, Kemper and Wayne counties, which are also in the 10th Circuit District.
The creation of the 10th District Drug Court brings the total of drug courts in operation across the state to 32. There are 22 adult court programs and 10 juvenile programs. About 2,300 people are currently enrolled in drug court programs statewide.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- BBB issues warning involving asphalt paving scam
- Mississippi State makes NSF ranking of research universities
- Panther Creek's location in medical industry zone boosts bio-med prospects
- Sawtimber, pulpwood markets improving, but challenges remain
- TVA president/CEO Johnson tours Techumseh, Yokohama plants
- News The Way You Want It!
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip