Housing report wins award
The Southern Mississippi Planning and Development District has received a 2009 Innovation Award from the National Association of Development Organizations for the Mississippi Housing Recovery Data Project.
The district contracted with the Compass Group, LLC, to assess housing needs after Hurricane Katrina. The data collected is used to develop housing policy and direct state and federal funds to housing programs.
“The Mississippi Housing Recovery Data Project has been an essential tool to help guide our recovery efforts on the Gulf Coast,” Gov. Haley Barbour said. “The information gathered on housing is critical to shaping the rebuilding effort and filling affordable housing needs in South Mississippi after the worst natural disaster in American history. I appreciate the hard work by the Southern Mississippi Planning and Development District, the Compass Group and others who made this project successful.”
In June 2009, information from the Housing Recovery Data Project led to Barbour’s congressional request for 5,000 additional vouchers for low-income renters. Congress allocated another $30 million to meet rental housing needs on the Gulf Coast.
The Mississippi program will be featured during the NADO’s 2009 Annual Training Conference, Aug. 29-Sept. 1 in Chicago.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Ingalls to lease former SRHS clinic in Gautier for employee medical center
- Miss. surgeon sentenced in tax evasion case
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- WRESTLING SUCCESS — Ted DiBiase Jr. leaves ring to become entrepreneur
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option
- Pearl ordering rental properties to retrofit with sprinklers, build storm shelters
- Two new casinos like the odds on Mississippi Gulf Coast
- Williams Brothers General Store is something to count on