Burlington Northern Santa Fe to expand
Burlington Northern Santa Fe (BNSF) will complete a $200 million intermodal expansion later this year, and it is expected to have a positive economic impact on the Memphis-area industrial market. The expanded operations, which include additional railroad tracks and electric cranes for stacking containers, could begin as early as October 1.
The expansion could impact the industrial market by helping to bring large transportation users to the area. Companies who ship in large volume tend to move close to intermodal yards to cut down on shipping expenses.
The expansion will more than double BNSF’s shipping capacity from 250,000 containers per year to almost 600,000. The railroad facility is a total of 185 acres, so if need dictates, BNSF can double again in the future.
The intermodal yard is located in Southeast Memphis, very close to the DeSoto County market, which has been enjoying positive absorption of industrial space for the last several years.
For more information on BNSF, visit www.bnsf.com.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Burlington Northern Santa Fe to expand”
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- UMMC reaching out after death of high school football player
- UPDATED: Jackson agrees to repay HUD $1.5 million for Farish Street blunders
- Gov. Bryant intervening in same-sex couple's divorce
- Vicksburg mayor marries during lunch break
- City leaders vote against offering insurance to one adult, possibly same-sex partner
- School superintendent says he never intended to hire wife's uncle, but recommended him
- Mississippi River mayors announce 'seed money' for waterfront developments
- MBJ's Business Marketplace set for Friday at Mississippi's Trade Mart
- Biloxi baseball project still alive but may be held for 2015