Burlington Northern Santa Fe to expand
Burlington Northern Santa Fe (BNSF) will complete a $200 million intermodal expansion later this year, and it is expected to have a positive economic impact on the Memphis-area industrial market. The expanded operations, which include additional railroad tracks and electric cranes for stacking containers, could begin as early as October 1.
The expansion could impact the industrial market by helping to bring large transportation users to the area. Companies who ship in large volume tend to move close to intermodal yards to cut down on shipping expenses.
The expansion will more than double BNSF’s shipping capacity from 250,000 containers per year to almost 600,000. The railroad facility is a total of 185 acres, so if need dictates, BNSF can double again in the future.
The intermodal yard is located in Southeast Memphis, very close to the DeSoto County market, which has been enjoying positive absorption of industrial space for the last several years.
For more information on BNSF, visit www.bnsf.com.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Burlington Northern Santa Fe to expand”
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Mississippi no longer has highest unemployment rate in nation
- McDaniel cites Gunn's challenge in his attempt to overturn loss to Cochran
- Payday lender, fired executive exchanging blame for lender’s regulatory woes
- Grain buyer’s bankruptcy could take steep toll on Delta farmers
- Once the bane of only Southerners, kudzu is migrating north and west
- UPDATE — David Watkins says JRA left him in dark about HUD's Farish St. involvement
- Mad Genius, Eyevox owner acquires Mississippi Film Studios
- SouthGroup Insurance named to 'Best Practices' study
- Senators push for protecting steel producers from imported rebar