Commission: Legal aid group needs funding
OXFORD — The Mississippi Access to Justice Commission has released the following statement about funding shortfalls and North Mississippi Rural Legal Services:
“As the economy continues in a downward spiral, so does funding to sustain vital programming that serves the legal needs of Mississippi’s most vulnerable communities. The Mississippi Access to Justice Commission is disheartened by the news that North Mississippi Rural Legal Services, a member organization, is struggling to retain critical resources that contribute in such a meaningful way to the cause of justice.
“With one legal services lawyer per every 18,000 eligible individuals, and an estimated 600,000 people living at or below poverty in Mississippi, the crisis of access to justice for the poor has long been under prioritized. It is our hope that these unfortunate circumstances give rise to a statewide call to action to refocus our efforts on sustainable delivery systems, funding and resources.
“This is not a North Mississippi Rural Legal Services problem; it is a national problem in our fight for equal access to justice.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Commission: Legal aid group needs funding”
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Ingalls to lease former SRHS clinic in Gautier for employee medical center
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Miss. surgeon sentenced in tax evasion case
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- Clinton office complex sold for $20.5 million
- Williams Brothers General Store is something to count on
- WRESTLING SUCCESS — Ted DiBiase Jr. leaves ring to become entrepreneur
- Firm adds Brian T. Alexander
- Comstock quits Tuscaloosa play on falling prices