Mississippi still has a ways to go on internet speed
WASHINGTON — New research indicates that between 2007 and 2009, the average download Internet speed in the United States has increased by only 1.6 megabits per second (mbps), from 3.5 mbps in 2007 to 5.1 mbps in 2009. And, Mississippi ranks last in connectivity speed in the U.S.
The Speed Matters Speed Test, a project of the Communications Workers of America, measures the speed of a user’s Internet connection. The 2009 report is based on aggregated data from more than 413,000 Internet users who took the online test between May 2008 and May 2009.
The 2009 Speed Test shows that only 20 percent of those who took the test have Internet speeds in the range of the top-ranked countries, including South Korea, Japan and Sweden. Eighteen percent do not meet the FCC definition for basic broadband as an always-on Internet connection of at least 768 kbps downstream.
The data also confirms that where a customer lives is a good indicator of Internet connection speed. With some exceptions, Northeastern or Mid-Atlantic states are likely to have good high-speed Internet options. The five fastest states are: Delaware (9.9 mbps), Rhode Island (9.8 mbps), New Jersey (8.9 mbps), Massachusetts (8.6 mbps) and New York (8.4 mbps).
However, if you live in a Southern or Western state, access to high-speed Internet is less likely. Mississippi (3.7 mbps), South Carolina (3.6 mbps), Arkansas (3.1 mbps), Idaho (2.6 mbps) and Alaska (2.3 mbps) have some of the slowest Internet connection speeds, according to the study.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- District at Eastover construction to start later this year
- Fervor grows for Tuscaloosa Marine Shale
- With no interim, board begins hunt for MVSU president
- LNG facility hoping to begin exporting natural gas
- Supervisors to talk with trustees about selling hospital
- Ex-Northwest Rankin coach David Coates dies before drug trial
- The link between education and economic development
- WOODS: Time to put gloves on for handgrabbing