MDOT gives ARRA update
Published: September 2,2009
ACROSS MISSISSIPPI — During a recent news conference, leaders of the Southeastern Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (SASHTO) showcased the progress being made to create and preserve jobs through the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) funds.
Larry L. “Butch” Brown, executive director of the Mississippi Department of Transportation (MDOT) and SASHTO president said, “The proof is in the numbers. As of July, Mississippi DOT has spent nearly $2 million on payroll. That’s the money going straight into pockets of hundreds of construction workers, helping them to make mortgage payments, buy groceries and pay for back-to-school supplies and clothing for their children.”
All 50 state departments of transportation and the District of Columbia met a June 30th deadline to assign 50 percent of their ARRA funds to a specific highway project. SASHTO’s 12 member states are slated to receive over $7 billion in ARRA funding for highways and bridges.
MDOT released the following ARRA facts:
• MDOT has received approximately $354.56 million for ARRA
• MDOT projects under construction total approximately $225.36 million
• Total employees hours worked for the months of April through July 2009 is $153,445
• Total payroll spent between the months of April through July 2009 is approximately $1.98 million
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Outside group files arguments supporting McDaniel
- Court rules board can discipline West Virginia radiologist
- DAVID DALLAS: Mississippi's in'adequate' public schools
- MDEQ fines metalworking firm over hazardous waste
- Payday lender, fired executive exchanging blame for lender’s regulatory woes
- C Spire now offering new Blast Motion technology for athletes
- Grain buyer’s bankruptcy could take steep toll on Delta farmers
- Mississippi no longer has highest unemployment rate in nation
- Mad Genius, Eyevox owner acquires Mississippi Film Studios