Two-year schools’ enrollment soars
ACROSS MISSISSIPPI — Mississippi’s community colleges are seeing record-breaking enrollment for the fall of 2009.
Preliminary headcount enrollment at Mississippi’s community and junior colleges for the fall semester is up by more than 14,500 students compared to a year ago. To put the current enrollment increase in perspective, the total of the five smallest community colleges’ enrollment is approximately the same as the enrollment growth seen in these preliminary numbers.
In an attempt to gather information earlier, the community and junior colleges submitted their preliminary enrollment numbers Sept. 2, the second week at most colleges. By law, final enrollment figures at community and junior colleges are captured on the last day of the sixth week of each semester. The numbers that have been provided by the colleges have not been audited by the State Board for Community and Junior Colleges.
The State Board for Community and Junior Colleges (SBCJC) said as it approaches the statutorily required date for capturing final enrollment, we expect the 14,500 figure to decrease. However, when each colleges’ enrollment has been finalized, SBCJC said it expected a substantial overall enrollment increase for Mississippi’s community colleges.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
2 Responses to “Two-year schools’ enrollment soars”
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- TECH 21 — Mississippi's most wanted in technology
- Circuit clerks question how to get records to McDaniel's trial
- PEDIGREE dog food recalled; might contain metal fragments
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- R.J. Allen ranked as fastest-growing company in Mississippi
- Judicial candidates put on ballot after rejection of challenges
- Tragedy for Jackson Prep: Football player Walker Wilbanks dies
- MSU receives funding for two proposals aimed at boosting NASA missions
- DAVID DALLAS — Mississippi needs one university