Two-year schools’ enrollment soars
ACROSS MISSISSIPPI — Mississippi’s community colleges are seeing record-breaking enrollment for the fall of 2009.
Preliminary headcount enrollment at Mississippi’s community and junior colleges for the fall semester is up by more than 14,500 students compared to a year ago. To put the current enrollment increase in perspective, the total of the five smallest community colleges’ enrollment is approximately the same as the enrollment growth seen in these preliminary numbers.
In an attempt to gather information earlier, the community and junior colleges submitted their preliminary enrollment numbers Sept. 2, the second week at most colleges. By law, final enrollment figures at community and junior colleges are captured on the last day of the sixth week of each semester. The numbers that have been provided by the colleges have not been audited by the State Board for Community and Junior Colleges.
The State Board for Community and Junior Colleges (SBCJC) said as it approaches the statutorily required date for capturing final enrollment, we expect the 14,500 figure to decrease. However, when each colleges’ enrollment has been finalized, SBCJC said it expected a substantial overall enrollment increase for Mississippi’s community colleges.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
2 Responses to “Two-year schools’ enrollment soars”
Top Posts & Pages
- The Dan Jones-IHL saga: Is this the story that started it all?
- DAVID DALLAS — From Dan and Dixie with love
- Email from Nash to Delta Council’s Morgan included in DHA court file
- Dan Jones rejects IHL offer, won't publicly apologize
- Delta Health Alliance CEO Karen Fox under investigation for possible misuse of funds
- Suit against Kemper employee Brett Wingo is dismissed
- WRESTLING SUCCESS — Ted DiBiase Jr. leaves ring to become entrepreneur
- Two new casinos like the odds on Mississippi Gulf Coast
- BREAKING NEWS: Trustees offer new deal to Ole Miss chancellor Dan Jones
- JOSH MABUS: Bill Murray and business misfits