Entergy makes large donation
Published: September 14,2009
Jackson – Entergy Mississippi Inc. has awarded a $300,000 grant to Mississippi Building Blocks. The early childhood education program aims to improve the quality of pre-kindergarten and build a stronger future work force. A $100,000 gift, given Sept. 3, is the first of three installments to be invested in the program over three years.
Mississippi Building Blocks is a three-year pilot program that will serve some 50 child care centers and 150 early education classrooms throughout the state. Over the life of the pilot, $10.5 million of funding is required, all to be contributed by the private sector.
“Mississippi Building Blocks is committed to improving school readiness and work force development,” said Dr. Laurie Smith, executive director of Mississippi Building Blocks. “Entergy Mississippi’s generous donation will help us meet this commitment by enabling us to purchase needed classroom materials and promote teacher training within participating child care centers.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Voters to decide whether hunting, fishing is constitutional right
- Dak Prescott's autograph fetches a pretty penny
- Gulf oil and gas leases to go up for sale in March
- Grand juries charge seven with election violations
- Butler Snow names Crockoft new office director
- Farm theft investigation recovers $200K in stolen equipment
- Airport gets grant to support seasonal service from Sun Country
- State officials identify first flu case this season
- STAYING POSITIVE — Career attitude help Brynn Joachim to fight disease at 41