Four-year schools’ headcount soars
ACROSS MISSISSIPPI — Preliminary fall 2009 enrollment figures from Mississippi’s eight public universities show an increase of nearly 2,500 students or about 3.5 percent from fall 2008 numbers.
System-wide enrollment has increased annually since 1994. Fall 2009 preliminary enrollment system-wide is 73,699, compared to 71,202 for the fall of 2008.
“More people are seeking baccalaureate degrees at Mississippi institutions and it is absolutely imperative that we continue that trend if we are going to move the state forward,” Commissioner of Higher Education Dr. Hank Bounds said. “In order to do this, we have to continue to raise the quality of our academic programs, and seek to make college more affordable and accessible.”
Preliminary enrollment figures are unduplicated and count students one time if enrolled on more than one campus. Fall 2009 preliminary enrollment figures and percent change over the prior fall for each university are: Alcorn State University (3,339, +2.7 percent); Delta State University (4,031, -0.8 percent); Jackson State University (8,785, +4.9 percent), Mississippi State University (18,601, +4.4 percent); Mississippi University for Women (2,478, +4.8 percent); Mississippi Valley State University (2,819, -3.8 percent); University of Mississippi (15,933, +4.2 percent); University of Mississippi Medical Center (2,412, +4.3 percent); University of Southern Mississippi (15,301, +3.4 percent).
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- ANITA MODAK-TRURAN — Mississippi’s motion picture renaissance
- Entergy gives solar a shot
- Challenging times ahead for Pearl’s manufactured home residents, apartment complex owners
- Critics say Pearl out to eliminate mobile homes and apartments – not safeguard them
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- WRESTLING SUCCESS — Ted DiBiase Jr. leaves ring to become entrepreneur
- State Sen. McDaniel traveling Mississippi to promote PAC
- Despite obstacles, craft beer industry growing
- Irby commits suicide after wife's prison release