Freight Index finally posts gain
The Freight Transportation Services Index (TSI) rose 1.6 percent in July from its June level, the first monthly increase since February and the largest increase since January 2008, the Bureau of Transportation Statistics (BTS) reports.
BTS said the Freight TSI declined in nine of the last 12 months, but has remained steady or increased in the last two.
The July Freight TSI was 95.5, up 1.6 percent increase from the recent low of 94 reached in May and June. During those two months, the index was at its lowest level since June 1997. The Freight TSI is down 15.4 percent from its historic peak of 112.9 reached in May 2006.
The 4.8 percent decline in the first seven months of 2009 was the second largest in the last decade, exceeded only by the 5.9 percent decline for the first seven months of 2000.
The July Freight TSI was at its lowest July level since 1997 when it was 94.8. The 13.5 percent decline in the Freight TSI from July 2008 to July 2009 was the largest July-to-July decline in the 20 years for which the TSI is calculated.
The freight index is also down 13.3 percent in the five years from July 2004, the 10th consecutive month in which the index declined for a five-year period. The index is down 6.4 percent in 10 years for the seventh-ever 10-year decline in the 20-year history of TSI data. All these 10-year declines took place in first seven months of 2009.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- Brandon man hauls in record 756-pound alligator
- Is cotton looking too good? Farmers facing weaker prices
- Woman found guilty of murder in buttocks injection case
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- Mississippi judge dismisses lawsuit seeking to overturn Sen. Cochran's GOP primary win
- Healthcare Marketplace to look much the same in 2015