ITE honors MDOT’s work
Published: September 14,2009
Jackson – The Mississippi Department of Transportation (MDOT) received a pair of prestigious awards at a recent transportation engineering conference held in San Antonio, Texas.
MDOT was honored with the Transportation Achievement Award for Operations, and the M&O/ITS Council Achievement Award for an Agency at the 2009 Institute of Transportation Engineers (ITE) Annual Meeting and Exhibit.
Michael Stokes, ITS program manager for MDOT’s Traffic Engineering Division, accepted the awards in recognition of a project titled “Reconnecting Mississippi’s Coastal Communities Through ITS.” When Hurricane Katrina toppled bridges, washed away entire road sections and wiped out traffic signals, MDOT responded by designing and rebuilding U.S. 90, not back to existing conditions, but by resolving previous operational deficiencies and implementing the latest storm-resistant ITS technology.
Each year, ITE sponsors an awards program to honor outstanding achievement in transportation engineering and distinguished service to ITE. The awards bestow international recognition upon the recipients and increase the public’s awareness of the role and responsibilities of the transportation professional.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Judge moves McDaniel's lawsuit challenging loss to Cochran
- Tragedy for Jackson Prep: Football player Walker Wilbanks dies
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- TECH 21 — Mississippi's most wanted in technology
- DAVID DALLAS — Mississippi needs one university
- Scientists seeing more invasive trapjaw ants on Coast
- R.J. Allen ranked as fastest-growing company in Mississippi
- Senate election ballot approved as McDaniel's challenge continues
- Trop Greenville ahead of schedule on significant expansion