ITE honors MDOT’s work
Published: September 14,2009
Jackson – The Mississippi Department of Transportation (MDOT) received a pair of prestigious awards at a recent transportation engineering conference held in San Antonio, Texas.
MDOT was honored with the Transportation Achievement Award for Operations, and the M&O/ITS Council Achievement Award for an Agency at the 2009 Institute of Transportation Engineers (ITE) Annual Meeting and Exhibit.
Michael Stokes, ITS program manager for MDOT’s Traffic Engineering Division, accepted the awards in recognition of a project titled “Reconnecting Mississippi’s Coastal Communities Through ITS.” When Hurricane Katrina toppled bridges, washed away entire road sections and wiped out traffic signals, MDOT responded by designing and rebuilding U.S. 90, not back to existing conditions, but by resolving previous operational deficiencies and implementing the latest storm-resistant ITS technology.
Each year, ITE sponsors an awards program to honor outstanding achievement in transportation engineering and distinguished service to ITE. The awards bestow international recognition upon the recipients and increase the public’s awareness of the role and responsibilities of the transportation professional.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Source: Bryant has offered Glenn McCullough MDA job
- COMMERCIAL FINANCE 701: Loans disguised as government bonds (BOANs)
- Two new casinos like the odds on Mississippi Gulf Coast
- TRANSITION AT THE MDA — Is Mississippi better off than it was 3 years ago?
- (WITH VIDEO) Funding secured for Capitol Art Lofts in downtown Jackson
- PHIL HARDWICK: The third grade reading gate, book buddies and school principals
- WRESTLING SUCCESS — Ted DiBiase Jr. leaves ring to become entrepreneur
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- College Board names Glenn Boyce as higher education chief