MSU’s enrollment hits all-time high
by Wally Northway
Published: September 14,2009
STARKVILLE — Surpassing its historic high numbers last year, Mississippi State University (MSU) reports a fall semester enrollment of 18,601, a 4.4 percent increase over 2008.
Fall enrollment included more than 17,900 on the Starkville campus and 700 at the Meridian campus.
The College of Arts and Sciences remains the largest academic unit, with 4,533 students, followed, respectively, by the education, engineering and business colleges.
Current MSU enrollment includes:
• A student body that is 19.8 percent African-American
• 75 percent of students from Mississippi
• Some 51 percent of students are male, and nearly 49 percent female
• A graduation rate that is 61 percent, the highest at a Mississippi university
Fall enrollment also marks a record high for MSU’s Shackouls Honors College, which currently has more than 1,400 students.
“We have outstanding students with outstanding accomplishments in every discipline on our campus,” MSU president Dr. Mark Keenum said. “Mississippi State will continue to recruit students aggressively in pursuit of our goal of an enrollment of 22,000 by 2015.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- BBB issues warning involving asphalt paving scam
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Panther Creek's location in medical industry zone boosts bio-med prospects
- Mississippi State makes NSF ranking of research universities
- TVA president/CEO Johnson tours Techumseh, Yokohama plants
- Sawtimber, pulpwood markets improving, but challenges remain
- News The Way You Want It!
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip