Thompson pioneers new procedure
Published: September 14,2009
J. Keith Thompson, DO, FACOS, vascular specialist with Hattiesburg Clinic, recently became the first vascular specialist in Mississippi to perform a new surgical technique known as carotid flow-reversal. This advanced technique, which is used to open blocked neck arteries that can often cause strokes, involves temporarily reversing blood flow to part of the brain while safely opening the neck artery with a balloon and a stent. Thompson performed this procedure in the new Vascular Suite at Forrest General Hospital.
Thompson is a fellowship-trained vascular specialist that specializes in the comprehensive treatment of aortic aneurysms and peripheral artery disease. He is one of the leading authors in the state regarding the minimally invasive treatment of aortic disease. Thompson was the first physician in the state to perform minimally invasive surgery to repair potentially traumatic injuries to the aorta that sometimes occur in severe car wrecks. He also recently co-authored a study published in the International Journal of Injury on the topic of traumatic vascular injuries to the arteries of the kidneys. This research was performed in collaboration with physicians at Ohio’s largest trauma hospital, Grant Medical Center in Columbus.
Thompson, a Magee native, completed his vascular surgery fellowship at University of Cincinnati Medical Center. He is board certified in vascular surgery.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Comstock quits Tuscaloosa play on falling prices
- Clinton office complex sold for $20.5 million
- Ingalls to lease former SRHS clinic in Gautier for employee medical center
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Miss. surgeon sentenced in tax evasion case
- Meadville mayor seeks Sojourner's Senate seat
- PHIL HARDWICK: Characteristics of a good year-end fundraising letter
- Record soybean yield is valued at $1.17 billion
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Gary Herring building tomorrow by educating today