Thompson pioneers new procedure
Published: September 14,2009
J. Keith Thompson, DO, FACOS, vascular specialist with Hattiesburg Clinic, recently became the first vascular specialist in Mississippi to perform a new surgical technique known as carotid flow-reversal. This advanced technique, which is used to open blocked neck arteries that can often cause strokes, involves temporarily reversing blood flow to part of the brain while safely opening the neck artery with a balloon and a stent. Thompson performed this procedure in the new Vascular Suite at Forrest General Hospital.
Thompson is a fellowship-trained vascular specialist that specializes in the comprehensive treatment of aortic aneurysms and peripheral artery disease. He is one of the leading authors in the state regarding the minimally invasive treatment of aortic disease. Thompson was the first physician in the state to perform minimally invasive surgery to repair potentially traumatic injuries to the aorta that sometimes occur in severe car wrecks. He also recently co-authored a study published in the International Journal of Injury on the topic of traumatic vascular injuries to the arteries of the kidneys. This research was performed in collaboration with physicians at Ohio’s largest trauma hospital, Grant Medical Center in Columbus.
Thompson, a Magee native, completed his vascular surgery fellowship at University of Cincinnati Medical Center. He is board certified in vascular surgery.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Spivey named Under 40 Business Person of the Year by the Mississippi Business Journal
- Bids on reworking Interstate 55 stretch are rejected
- JACK WEATHERLY: Economic development in these parts is a ‘family’ business
- Two new casinos like the odds on Mississippi Gulf Coast
- The leadership styles of President Obama
- WRESTLING SUCCESS — Ted DiBiase Jr. leaves ring to become entrepreneur
- JACK WEATHERLY: Finding a house, defending a neighborhood, finding a voice
- Report ranks state schools' performance 51st in the nation
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years